Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Rufeng Xu-Fried Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

What protocols should I use for a client/server GUI application

Jump to solution
Hi, I have some experience with HTTP protocols in Vugen, but new to GUI applications.
The development team told that protocol they use is internet protocol. Which protocol I should choose in Vugen?
I tried IMAP, and Vugen recognizes thousands of events. The recording log is full of [Network Analyzer (151c: bdc)] (Sid: 19) Server -> Client : 24 bytes , but nothing is recorded in the scripts. Please advise. Thanks!
Rufeng
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: What protocols should I use for a client/server GUI application

Jump to solution
It looks like your development team didn't understand what you were asking them about, because the answer "internet protocol" doesn't make any sense. Tell them that you need to know the application layer protocol in the OSI model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model) that the GUI client uses to talk to the server.

If still no luck with your developers, use VuGen Protocol Advisor to find out what protocol may fit your application. You can access it in VuGen through File->Protocol Advisor->Analyze Application.
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
It looks like your development team didn't understand what you were asking them about, because the answer "internet protocol" doesn't make any sense. Tell them that you need to know the application layer protocol in the OSI model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model) that the GUI client uses to talk to the server.

If still no luck with your developers, use VuGen Protocol Advisor to find out what protocol may fit your application. You can access it in VuGen through File->Protocol Advisor->Analyze Application.
Absent Member.. Rajasekhar Gund Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Protocol advisor option is available in VuGen 11 version & Vugen 9.5 version (I hope?) only.

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thank you both. I will check out with the development team. I will also download the Vugen 9.5 to see if I can see analyzer. Thanks a lot.
Rufeng
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi, I downloaded Vugen 9.5, and analysed my GUI protocols. The results show

We detected the following protocols in your business process:
COM/DCOM, Microsoft .NET, JAVA Record Replay, Windows Sockets

I found Com/DCOM and Windows Sockets in the VUgen. What are the corresponding protocols that I hsould use for "Microsoft .NET" and "JAVA Record Replay"? Thank you!
Rufeng
0 Likes
parkar Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi, I downloaded Vugen 9.5, and analysed my GUI protocols. The results show

We detected the following protocols in your business process:
COM/DCOM, Microsoft .NET, JAVA Record Replay, Windows Sockets

Try using anyone of the above protocol and record the whole scenario..

For Java R & R u need to set the environment variables also defined the same in the classpath setting..

pls let us know if you are facing any challenges in scripting

Thanks
Cheers!

Nvr Blame a day in ur life....... Good day gives "happiness" & Bad day gives "experience" ......
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thank you very much. I used the protocols COM/DCOM and Window Sockets. I am able to record the script and even replay it succesfully!

However, it does not reply the GUI like I am used to web application. In Web application, I often use web_reg_find() to validate the return page.

So should I be able to watch it replay with the GUI windows? How do I validate if the return is proper?

Rufeng
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Rajasekhar Gund Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi,

For the protocols you have selected there is no GUI view available for script runs. The pass/fail has to be decided only based on Replay Log & Server side application logs about the correct data execution in back end.

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Thanks a lot! I got the replay log. Where do I find the server information?

In the GUI application, the window shows "Login Successful", but this msg is not in the replay log.

Also what kind of function I use for validate msgs? In HTTP protocol, I used to use web_reg_find. What is the equivalent function I should use?

I am new to GUI application recording. Thanks for all your help.
Rufeng
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
I replayed the my script. In our replay log file, there is a msg like "User test_ib is already logged in". How do I capture this msg in the log file? I think I can use this msg to validate the log in.

Thanks for your help.
Rufeng
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. bighead337 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Not sure about COM/DCOM script but you check out various lrc_xxxx functions in the function reference.

In winsocket, you can use the lrs_save_searched_string function.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution
Excellent. lrs_save_searched_string() works!

Thank you very much!
Rufeng
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.