New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE

ESM - Version History for Rules & Filters

Idea ID 2705849

ESM - Version History for Rules & Filters

Please create a code-repository for  Rules and Filters, so that it is possible to have a version history.

Cheers

A

4 Comments
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Great idea!  I'm guessing in addition to version history you would want the ability to do things like roll back to a specific version, see changes between versions and be able to delete version history (for rules and filters that are quite old).  What else would you want to be able to do with versioning?

Well, It's a very great idea to save time for lots of people. But, if it needs to keep old configuration, need to reduce maximum number of history&data. If not, it will make additional management point.

V.1.0 - just make the history of changes by whom
V.2.0 - Just keep 2 configurations for each version.  

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Jeremy, 

the how... and what:

I think a version control of rules should store all actual rule filters, aggregaten settings, variables, etc.  

How many versions backwards... I think there should be somthing like a soft and a hard "definition of a new version" - so for example if you are developing a  rule, there might be a lot of changes, tweaking going on, before the rule is in a "version 1 state".  Therefore  you should have the choice to just save a rule (no new version is created), or save it as a new version - so a little bit like a commit in github. and why not put some possibility to put a comment. And for sure a rule gets saved as a new version, if there was no change after ~60 minutes or something like that. 

sure this will be get complicated, because auf dependencies... i.e. you have a "building-block" filter in a rule - should this filter be stored together with the version, or not - i would say no, as if you have code and use a library from "a third party" you dont store the complete library - however you might hava a note that it worked/tested/somthing like that, with this version of that filter.... so i think there should be something like a version warning or so. that keeps track with which version a rule was working with . However i think thats something MF as s software developing  house should have some experience with already.

I also think keeping only 2 version of a config is way to less, as a misthake normaly gets not spotted within one version. at least that's my experience - i would keep at least 5 versions - with the possibility of unlimited versions.

Having a "diff view" of rules/filters would be great - i think as a MVP beeing able to have one "editor window" with the latest version and another editor window with older versions would be already a very good enhancement. 

Deleting versions.... no not really -  as this would be against the "audit" principle that tha comes with this feature --- hence the unlimited storage for rules and filters.

Going back to a version... i would define it like use this "old version" as "new version"  - this makes easier to review and also for auditing purposes i would not just delete the versions that were created after the "old version".

I think both rules and filters should be treated in the text above internchangable...

I think thats already a lot of thoughts - if any questions, just come back and ask .

KR

A

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hey @Jeremy Lahners ... can you give some insights, if you thing about implementing this?

Seems the community thinks its a good Idea.

KR

A

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.