Windows 10 Platform support

Idea ID 2757492

Windows 10 Platform support

With the restrictions of support forWindows event collections now down to WINC only, we find ourselves being forced to deploy a Windows platform in our customer environments to ensure we collect logs in a secure and stable manner.

When looking at what platform to use we can see that Windows 10 Pro has all the features we require for us to deploy a WINC connector. Windows 10 Pro is a fraction of the cost of something like Windows Sever 2016.

I have used Windows 7 and Window 10 for years when testing and developing connectors always with the "You are deploying on an unsupported platform" warning. It seems to me to be an over sight end user systems have not been added in.

6 Comments
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Yes we need that 

Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As you already mentioned they are just not officially supported, however they work anyways...

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you want a platform to run a connector on then as @dkuehner said you can still use Windows 10 just not officially supported.

Collecting events from a Windows 10 machine is a different subject though, they usually should go through a WEC first if possible but not mandatory.

Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

@Marius2  this request relates to installing the Connector framework on a Win10 machine. Not the collection of logs.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@RHeselwood I am aware, the first part of my comment was for installing the framework, just wanted to cover all the bases 🙂

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thank you for this information.  

We've accepted that we will build a Windows VM to support the WiNC on CHA and this is good information for us to consider on which Windows OS platform we should run this on.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.