UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Access to Arcsight Logger database with an external software?

Jump to solution

Hi, i'd like to know if there is a way to access to the internal Arcsight Logger Database with an external software, for example if i create a program in java, does exists a jar component to import into the program that gives functions to access and query the database?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simone, if you would like to query a Logger events DB using a 3rd arty software - it is possible using the Web API:

If you are looking for abilities to install some custom java (or something else) app to a Logger - forget about it, it is black box.

Regarding the API - it is much much slower than running a "native" report at Logger, believe me. But if you would like to run a specific query and then import results (data set) to an external software, it will work. Some people use it for 3rd party report generators and visualization. You can find samples here at Protect724.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

do you mean the database with the events or the database with the internal log (ex: login in the logger etc)?

Thanks.

------------------------------------
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful or mark it as an accepted solution if it resolves your issue.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I mean the database with all events gotten from external devices.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

What do you want to do exactly?

Databse use mysql but with special index, so you can see the data not indexed.  You need to modify the config of mysql to be able to access it remotely.  Not much you can do.

------------------------------------
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful or mark it as an accepted solution if it resolves your issue.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simone, if you would like to query a Logger events DB using a 3rd arty software - it is possible using the Web API:

If you are looking for abilities to install some custom java (or something else) app to a Logger - forget about it, it is black box.

Regarding the API - it is much much slower than running a "native" report at Logger, believe me. But if you would like to run a specific query and then import results (data set) to an external software, it will work. Some people use it for 3rd party report generators and visualization. You can find samples here at Protect724.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info Alex.

I agree its the way to go, and we have some plan to devellop in this area as well.

Could you please further define "it is much much slower than running a "native" report at Logger, believe me" with a ball park figure of what you experienced ?

Thanks,

Dany

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The max I could get was about 1000 EPS out of a logger using the API.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thanks,

Just to be sure:

1000 Search-EPS or 1000 extracted-EPS (with a normal Search-EPS rate) ?

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That was actually extracting events out of the API.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Exactly! I observed the same speed of 1K EPS for retrieving events as the result of a query.

So what I mean regarding "much slower":

when you run a query at Logger GUI you can see as it counts 1 million events in few seconds. But you will need ~ 1,000 seconds to retrieve this data set via Web API. I suspect (but can't confirm) that reporting engine consumes less time for it.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

In September 2015, we released Logger 6.1 which includes the ability to pull events MUCH MUCH faster out of Logger using the API, by using an increased batch size parameter.

See more here:

https://protect724.hp.com/message/64045#64045

Please try it out with Logger 6.1 and let us know how it works for you!

To be very specific, the new capability is in the "EVENTS" API call, and the LENGTH parameter.

The default size is 1000 events, but you can now ask for up to 10,000 events per iteration.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.