Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
aquillius.t@net Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Activate Base 2.4 to Activate Base 2.5 update

Hi,

Recently, I have imported Activate Base version 2.4 on ESM-Express. Just want to ask how can I update it to the latest version which is Activate Base 2.5. Should I delete the older version and import the new one? 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Aqui

Labels (3)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
aquillius.t@net Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Activate Base 2.4 to Activate Base 2.5 update

Hi,

Anyone that can help me here? Please help

Thanks and Regards,

Aqui

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

As far as I know, you should update the activate package from the command line (need to run the bat file that comes with the zip file).
Installation details: https://hpe-sec.com/foswiki/bin/view/ArcSightActivate/ActivateBase   (scroll down to installation part).

I'm not sure if your customizations on the filters etc. are kept or not after updating. If someone can give info about this, it'd be great.

------------------------------------
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful or mark it as an accepted solution if it resolves your issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The importer scripts should update this for you.   The instructions provided with the package indicate how to run this on the command line.  Please do not try to update within the ArcSight Console since this is likely to fail with various errors.

I ran a quick import on my machine,  it did not require any uninstall first.

I would recommend taking any items of content that you have changed and copying them to an alternative folder well away from the standard and Activate Content.  You could further protect any of your own work by exporting to arb packages.

Thanks,

Darren

ArcSight Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Darren,

I did a test for updating a package. What I saw is that the filters I configured were resetted to their original versions. For example, I hooked the checkpoint firewall filters into the Perimeter Monitoring filters. After updating the Perimeter Monitoring package, those hooks were gone. How do I keep these filters as they were?

Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful or mark it as an accepted solution if it resolves your issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @mr_ergene

Upon creation of a package like Activate or any custom package you create yourself, there is several options related to overwriting of content, and what to not change if they are changed.

When this package creation happen, a version number is applied, which is how ArcSight differentiates between packages, and are able to provide updates when the content already exist from an earlier version.

Unfortunately the main usage area of Activate is to provide a baseline which your own content can build around, much as the pre-configured content under for example ArcSight Administration this is not meant to be changed, and upon change the likeliness that something is overwritten is quite big.

So at this moment it would not be possible for you to directly apply your new package without overwriting your own changes, which leaves 2 options:

1. Writing your own content around Activate, removing changes applied to the Activate Base itself, and rather create your own filter that utilizes the events received from Activate. This enables you to do continous updates without any compability issues in the future, and is the recommended "fix".

2. Apply the Activate 2.5 package to an empty ESM, or something used for testing purposes, edit the settings of the package to not include the content which you have changed, and re-export the package and continue with the installation as you would normally do. This is not something i tested myself with Activate, but is based on the common principles of package deployment, please do not forget to do a backup of your original content should issues occur.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi @Marius2,

Thanks for the information. So, as I understand, I need to create customization packages in order to preserve my configuration. I think the guide on https://hpe-sec.com/foswiki/bin/view/ArcSightActivate/HowToBuildCustomizationPackage would help.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes that is indeed one way to do it, since it is written for this package it might be the easiest to just follow that guide, i see that it follows the same type of principles as i mentioned above as well 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.