Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
prentice@hpe.co Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Activate Package Installations

Hello everyone,

There are two common scenarios that can cause folks some problems.

First, if you use the native Windows zip extraction method (and 7zip, it seems...), it will create a folder in your console's current folder and put the files there (e.g., c:\arcsight\console\current\Activate Base 1.1.0.0\extracted stuff..., when it should be c:\arcsight\console\current\extracted stuff...). A secondary issue can be the actual path for your console if you've upgraded it multiple times. I've always just done a new console installation for each version (e.g., c:\arcsight\console6.5, c:\arcsight\console6.5sp1, c:\arcsight\console6.8, etc.), but I understand this is not always possible, depending on how much control your IT department gives you for application installation. In once case, I've seen a content author try to install the Activate packages by unzipping them to c:\arcsight\console\current, but because the upgrade process was used in a different manner, the packages should have been unzipped to c:\arcsight\console\latest\current. If you get an error along the lines of "arcsight is not a recognized command" when you run the .bat file, you may be in this position.

The second potential problem is related to the passwords. This is mostly my fault, as I didn't have as much time to work out the kinks as I would have liked, and I haven't had a chance to get back to it. Firstly, I would like to make the use of passwords acceptably hidden, as they are in the clear, now. This is a relatively simple fix, I just need to research it a bit. Secondly, if you enter a bad password, it doesn't check the status and stop executing the commands, so you will likely lock your account. It should automatically unlock it after a time (I believe the default is 30 minutes), but that can be rather inconvenient. Be prepared to manually unlock your account (or have an administrator unlock it for you).

With Protect 2015 just around the corner, it may be a bit before I can make these improvement. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

--

Prentice

Labels (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.