Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Outstanding Contributor.. rtoni1 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

ArcMC alert on inactive device

The ability to view the device topology in ArcMC and visualize device status (active vs inactive) is nice, but I need to be able to trigger an alert when certain devices (or any device associated with a certain device type) becomes inactive.  Is this on the roadmap for ArcMC?  The blogs (e.g. some good posts by paul Brettle) suggest that we start to move away from ESM and more towards ArcMC for monitoring purposes - I would like to do so, but this is a critical use case that I need to implement.  I need to know when certain devices go dark, and we don't have eyes on the topology dashboard 24/7.  Is this functionailiy available / or pending?  it would be a real PITA to ignore the recommendations of Paul and others and go thru the time and effort to set up device status monitioring (content etc.) on ESM, only to see it appear in the next iteration of ArcMC. 

Any feedback is apprecaited.  

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ArcMC alert on inactive device

Please refer to the "Monitoring Rules" in ArcMc administrators guide documentation.

There are both Preset Monitoring Rules and the ability to Create your own Custom monitoring rules.

In the 2.6 Admin Guide it is on page 184

0 Likes

Thanks MajorW - I have been playing with these rules a bit, but where I'm not clear is the granularity of the rules.  For example, if I have a specific router talking to a syslog connector, and I want to know if that router stops sending events.  What would that monitoring rule look like?  I'm not trying to monitor the connector, it might be working fine when the reporting device dies, I need to know about that specific device.  Am I missing something obvious?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

1) If you have ESM you could try to use DSM, below is nice Blog post:

Did you know that ESM does Connector & Device Monitoring ?
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Protect-Your-Assets/Did-you-know-that-ESM-does-Connector-Device-Monitoring/ba-p/1499018#.WkyfDTaWxaQ

2) Regarding ArcMC here you have more info on this Blog post:

Did you know device & connector monitoring with ArcMC ?
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Protect-Your-Assets/Did-you-know-device-connector-monitoring-with-ArcMC/ba-p/1497051#.WkyfEDaWxaQ

Regards,

Marijo

0 Likes

Thank you Marijo for the reply.  I have reviewed those posts (and others) by Paul Brettle - Paul's blog posts are informative as always.  I asked the same question a while ago as a response to his ArcMC related blog that you linked to, but it still appears to be awaiting moderation..??.  Also I know I have also commented on the ESM / DSM blog post but those comments do not appear to be there any longer.  I think I must be losing it.

I know I can track specific reporting devices with the ESM / DSM content, and that ArcMC can tell me if certain specific devices are off line / insactive when I look at the dashboards, etc. -- but (unless I am wrong) ArcMC rules cannot monitor specific device status and alert me if a device becomes inactive.  Is this true?

As Paul mentioned in his blog post, the recomendation is to move towards ArcMC for all device status monitoring, as ESM / DSM has a high degree of overhead.  But (and again if I am wrong please tell me) - there is no way to alert on specific reporting devices going "inactive" using ArcMC rules. If this is the case, it's a big gap IMHO.  If not, please tell me what I'm missing....

0 Likes
biancom Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Link:

Did you know device & connector monitoring with ArcMC ?
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Protect-Your-Assets/Did-you-know-device-connector-monitoring-with-ArcMC/ba-p/1497051#.WkyfEDaWxaQ

Is returning error "Access Denied" for me.

Can i find this on another place?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.