Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ArcSight 4 Sale - What do you think?

0 Likes
25 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Can't say I'm surprised.  In fact, almost a year ago I was telling my coworkers that they'd probably be going on sale/bought soon, although I was guessing McAfee since they don't have a SIEM product, which may still end up being the case since Intel bought them.  I just hope if/when someone buys them, they don't mutilate the product as many of these companies have a tendency to do (NetRanger/Cisco IPS anyone?).

Now if only I hadn't sold off my stock because of stupid conflict of interest stuff .

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Despite being kinda new ArcSight customer, I'm not very enthusiastic about these news. I have this feeling that ArcSight would loose it's "vision" for its products (being influenced by mother company). I hope this won't actually happen.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I too am concerned about long term mutilation as you put it. Only time will tell I guess.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

I get a queezzy feeling.  Once goobled up it will die a slow and painful death.  Large companies rarely expand on the product they gooble up.  They tend to disect it and use bits and pieces.

Kim

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I share the feeling with you all. Not sure if this move will be positive for us customers.

We all have seen companies like ArcSight being acquired and consumed by other bigger ones, then slowly their products stop evolving, they lose their vision and key employees start to mass leave the company. While no-one is irreplaceable, replacing several key people at once is not so easy I can tell you that.

The questions that I have  been asking are, does ArcSight need to be taken over? How is it going to benefit customer and how it will help ArcSight grow?

I remember when 3Com bought TippingPoint, I knew some people that worked there and they said that things were much difficult at TippingPoint after the takeover. Symantec and McAfee have also acquired other companies which have simply been dissolved. I wouldn't like it to happen to ArcSight.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not good.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Hell, just look at what Oracle has done to Sun.  Solaris might as well be dead and most of the key developers of Java and Solaris have left.  Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of companies that can afford ArcSight, so if the rumors of a deal being inked by the end of the week are true, it'll most likely be one of the big guys - HP, IBM, or Oracle, which is what all the analysts are saying.

On the bright side, as a friend of mine put it "If Oracle buys ArcSight, it'll go from a correlation engine to a predictive-fortune telling engine!"  <Insert BOOOs here>

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

EEEEK!!!

Basically says it all.   I have not seen anything worthwhile from HP or IBM lately.   They have big names due to the fact they were around near/at the beginning .

The "sale" assists in lining a few pockets.  As what it does to assist the user community has yet to be seen.

I do believe in moving on and growing.   Although when I am an end user and like the current direction (outside of the sale).  It does give me the willies associated with "Change, Change, Change".

Kim

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Speaking of change... 1107NightoftheLivingHomeless.jpg

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looking at community comments, it appears noone would be happy of ArcSight is acquired by another company. Even I feel the same.

The main reason being the change in focus and the enthusiasm of developing and making the product better is lost when aquired. Also, I agree on the point that KEY People of the organisation don't stay back and these are the ones who give us (customers) the product that fit in there requirements.

So in my perspective the takeover will affect the growth of ArcSight w.r.t sales, quality of the product, functioning and support adversley.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just hope it will be a company like EMC/HP rather then CA which basically ruin good products.

hopefully they will continue to develop it well (with the original development team) and i hope it will go smooth and un-noticed (to us users)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.