ArcSight Activate Replication - List Corrupted
Does anyone experienced an issue when you enable replication for Activate Replication!!
In the destination ESM, some lists got corrupted causing the replication to fail. Is there a clear steps on how to uninstall the activate and do clean-up within the DB?
Hope getting feed-back.
It sounds like you're using content management from the Command Center, is this correct?
We have ESM 6.5 with peering set up between a test and prod server for content management and AL's are particularly problematic if your package export settings aren't correct, of if you're attempting to overwrite an existing AL occasionally it will corrupt it.
I've taken to only replicating AL's once to build them with the matching resourceID on peers and then manually import/export the list data if I need to merge static entries (auth lists, suppression, etc)
I had encountered the similar issue recently as I did some sanity tests on Activate packages. What I did were to install activate packages by following the instruction and running the batch files from the Console/current directory. The all Activate packages were deleted through Console. Later, what I did try were 1) reinstalled L1 without installing Activate-Base, 2) reinstalled L2 without installing Activate-Base and L2, etc. These tries failed as expected, then I reinstalled them with a right order again.
After all, I didn't notice the Active List corruption issue until I tried to use 'Graph view' or 'Show data' option of Active Lists. I see the below error message as I tired to view data for these Active Lists. These Active lists were still valid and can be edited.
The only way I fixed the problem was to delete all of Activate packages from Console, and reinstalled them with a correct order, like A-Base, A-L1, A-L2, then A-Products.