Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Auto Zone: Why does it work for Assets but not Asset Ranges?

Hiya,

In ArcSight ESM/Express console, if you right-click a folder in /All Assets/ that contains one or more assets and select "Auto Zone", this will apply the appropriate zone (listed in /All Zones/ArcSight System/) to all assets in that folder. It's great for when you don't want to manually do zoning for each asset one-at-a-time (which is usually always).

Though the option is select-able from the right-click, Auto Zone does not work for asset ranges. It's just a tease. At the moment, if you want to set zones for multiple asset ranges, you'd have to open each range one-at-a-time, set zone, and click apply. Very inefficient to say the least.

I've got thousands of asset ranges in my system and really do not have the time to zone each one-at-a-time.

Does anyone have any ideas for a work-around? I've tried csv files to populate the Zone field for each Asset Range, but the Network Model tool does not allow for it. You can only set the asset range's name, start and end addresses, and local asset category with a csv file.

I've tried looking into commandline into ArcSight Manager, scripts, etc. to set zones for all asset ranges but that's going nowhere.

Please, please advise.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you tried this with the resourcegen java tool?

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Thx Damian but I'm not sure what that is exactly/how to utilize it, got a link?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Try the guide referenced on

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Yes we import asset ranges via csv files just as described in that guide. The guide also shows that you cannot set the zone for each asset range. If we're able to set the zone for each asset range in the csv file and import to ArcSight, then my issue would be resolved.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.