Highlighted
dkeller Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

AxisFault Exception when issuing SOAP API call.

Jump to solution

I have set up the trial version of Logger (VMWare image). I can connect to and navigate through the UI from a web browser, and all services are up and running:

# loggerd status

Process 'apache'                    running

Process 'aps'                       running

Process 'mysqld'                    running

Process 'postgresql'                running

Process 'processors'                running

Process 'receivers'                 running

Process 'servers'                   running

Process 'web'                       running

When I try to issue a SOAP request via the Java API, I receive an exception, and no useful error message:

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: unknown

at org.apache.axis2.util.Utils.getInboundFaultFromMessageContext(Utils.java:531)

at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.handleResponse(OutInAxisOperation.java:375)

at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.send(OutInAxisOperation.java:421)

at org.apache.axis2.description.OutInAxisOperationClient.executeImpl(OutInAxisOperation.java:229)

at org.apache.axis2.client.OperationClient.execute(OperationClient.java:165)

at com.arcsight.www.logger.LoginServiceStub.getVersion(LoginServiceStub.java:416)

I was also able to reproduce this using the SoapUI tool instead of using the Java API. I found a mention online that this was a server-side error. I logged on to the server and checked the log files. I was able to track down the exception thrown from the server to what is shown below. What may be the cause of this? What config file is Logger seemingly trying to access? Is there anything I missed while setting up Logger? I followed the instructions in the QuickStart guide.

Thanks

2014-10-10 15:28:01,790][ERROR][ReportServiceDelegate][login][TP-Processor9]
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:277)
    at com.intellica.client.config.ConfigManager.init(Unknown Source)
    at com.intellica.client.init.ReportClient.init(Unknown Source)
    at com.arcsight.logger.report.service.ReportServiceDelegate.initReportClient(ReportServiceDelegate.java:857)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceSkeleton.getReportService(LoginServiceSkeleton.java:23)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceSkeleton.getVersion(LoginServiceSkeleton.java:37)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceMessageReceiverInOut.invokeBusinessLogic(LoginServiceMessageReceiverInOut.java:44)
    at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.java:42)
    at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:96)
    at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:145)
    at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)
    at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:120)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
    at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190)
    at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:776)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:705)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:898)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
[2014-10-10 15:28:01,791][ERROR][getReportService][TP-Processor9]
com.arcsight.logger.webservices.reports.domain.ArcSightReportServiceException
    at com.arcsight.logger.report.service.ReportServiceDelegate.initReportClient(ReportServiceDelegate.java:866)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceSkeleton.getReportService(LoginServiceSkeleton.java:23)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceSkeleton.getVersion(LoginServiceSkeleton.java:37)
    at com.arcsight.logger.webservices.login.LoginServiceMessageReceiverInOut.invokeBusinessLogic(LoginServiceMessageReceiverInOut.java:44)
    at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.invokeBusinessLogic(AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver.java:42)
    at org.apache.axis2.receivers.AbstractMessageReceiver.receive(AbstractMessageReceiver.java:96)
    at org.apache.axis2.engine.AxisEngine.receive(AxisEngine.java:145)
    at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPTransportUtils.processHTTPPostRequest(HTTPTransportUtils.java:275)
    at org.apache.axis2.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:120)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
    at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190)
    at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:776)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:705)
    at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:898)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shezaf1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: AxisFault Exception when issuing SOAP API call.

Jump to solution

Any specific reason not to move to the Logger 6 RESTful API?

0 Likes
5 Replies
shezaf1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Any specific reason not to move to the Logger 6 RESTful API?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Ofer,

The reason is that there are also older loggers we have to support, but I will look deeper into the RESTful API.

Thanks!
Doron

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I've seen some strange errors when writing to the Logger SOAP API, unless you more fully qualify your calls.

I was able to resolve them, writing in PERL:

- ignoring validity of server cert

- having to specify a namespace to accurately interpret the XML returned from the login call

I have posted my PERL code elsewhere on the Protect724 forum (be sure to look at the latest version, it corrected some errors)

The 'getVersion' might not require a Login, you can make sure that call works first.

I am also writing now for the new Logger RESTful API and it seems easier. So far I have a Login and Logout call working in python against a Logger 6.0

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hey Aaron,

I hope all is well.

I also switched to the REST api, and I am getting data. One big problem I have though is that you can request only 100 events per call. Is there a way to increase this? I think it's bottlenecking the throughput.

Another question. Is there a way to get the full CEF event? Requesting the _raw field returns null, although it did return the entire CEF event in the SOAP version IIRC.

Take care,

Doron

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Another issue is that there seems to be a 1,000,000 row limitation for returning data. So, if the result set has more than 1M lines, only the first 1M will be returned. Is there a way aound that?

Doron

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.