Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Backup Resources and its contents ESM 6.5

Hi all,

I have been looking for a straightful way to backup my ESM 6.5 server.

I do not care about event data, I just want to recovery my resources in a disaster situation. I want to recover my Rules, my Active Lists (with their contents), my Trends (with their contents as well), and so on...

I was looking the KM00207745 document, but I do not know if "export_system_table" solution is the correct and updated approach for my wish.

Could someone tell me a direct way to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

For Rules, you could create a package, and have a script that exports that package. I'll have to check the command when I'm in front of another computer but search the ESM command reference section of the manual for package export I think it's called? That should handle the rules and anything else you can neatly package (which is quite a lot).

export_system_tables I think should take care of most of the "Resources" in ESM - so this is another way to grab rules, etc. But I don't believe it will capture the *content* of active lists. So it will backup your Active Lists (the list settings) but not the contents I believe.

The above is my understanding, someone may be able to correct me...

Backup and restore in ESM seems vague and not all that well documented. Would love to see a white paper / technical note on exactly what to do. We are currently:

- Running scheduled jobs to drop out key packages we want to backup

- Running the export_system_tables on a schedule

- Copying some directories off on a schedule

HTH

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Yeah, I see...i will do some tests..but I am missing some kind of "guide" for this as well.

My wish is to make just one "grab all" action, if it is possible.

My contents are large and a lot of spread, so, the effort to use Packages is not the best solution. Besides that, I often get error cause the size of my contents when I try to do a package export.

Anyway...thanks !! I will do some tests here, and wait, maybe someone can add more informations to this topic.

Regards.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Appreciate any info

I don't think there is a "grab all" approach though - our setup (of a number of cron jobs and complex steps to restore it all) came based on Prof. Services advice.

Good luck!

Al

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Tony,

I've been wondering the same thing.

Did you ever find a good solution for this?

I, too, am in the process of developing a backup/DR strategy. Sadly, as usual, HP's support is muddy, uncertain, and lacking in any real detail for helping with what I figured must be a simple and straight-forward solution. #1 SIEM vendor, etc...

There is a configbackup (and the related disasterrecovery) command, but it doesn't even work when I try to run it (permissions issue, perhaps it needs root although the instructions don't indicate this). It might be worth checking out, too.

Best Regards,

Ryan

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you happen to get an update on any help on backup DR restore?  Also, what does your current backup schedule command look like for backing up system tables on a schedule.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

For later versions, and does include events, but still useful here I think:

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Hi Ryan,

I have developed a script to copy my installation folder, checking database files changed between the copy process, and re-copying them after a short stop-all. It works quite good and I can copy everything (including online events) with a 10 minutes shutdown period in a automated way.

Regards,

Fabiano.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.