Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. jorgeoa Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

ConApp container upgrade error

Hello,

I've started the upgrade process of a container, the log registered some error and the process is "frozen", but the container is already working properly with the old version.

The base version of the container is 5.2.6.6434.0 and the target version 7.1.5.7538.0. I tested the upgrade in an empty container and was ok.

The last log message regarding the upgrade process is this error:

[2015-10-02 12:29:20,195][ERROR][default.com.arcsight.agent.hf.h][upgrade]

com.arcsight.common.upgrade.i: Couldn't copy [/opt/arcsight/connector_1/current/user/agent] to [/opt/arcsight/connector_1/7.1.5.7538.0/user/agent], tried [3] times

at com.arcsight.agent.hf.a.a(a.java:129)

at com.arcsight.agent.hf.h.b(h.java:136)

at com.arcsight.agent.th$b_.run(th$b_.java:4715)

I attach a file with all the log lines related to the upgrade process.

If I try a new upgrade process the system says that there is already another upgrade in progress.

The ConnApp model es C3400 with Red Hat 6.1 and product version 6.4.0.6661.0

I really appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
vluiz1
New Member.

Re: ConApp container upgrade error

A few things that you could try:

1. Reboot and try again.

2. Upgrade to ConApp 6.4 P4 and then try again.

3. Backup the existing connector, clear it, upgrade empty connector to 7.1.5 and then recreate.

4. Login via CLI and then check write privileges.

It's been ten days since your post so let's know if you already solved this.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Thank you for your answer Vijay,

I deleted the connectors in the container and tried to upgrade it but the problem persists. As the process fails, the Temporary connector created during the upgrade is not deleted. Delete it and try again results in same problem.

Now I migrated the connectors to another empty and upgraded container. I will try another options when the event flow permits me.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. LakeHealthInfoS Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I have had this issue a couple of times with smartconnector upgrades ----- when upgrading if you can check your Idle timeout under the Administration tab --- for the User management area.

When a Container is Upgrading -- the MC / ConAPP / Logger / Express Appliance do not recognize that as activity ----- and will log out your session.

When this happens it can leave an upgrade in a failed state - if an emergency restore does not recover said container ---- you may need to engage support - so that you can work with the Product team to remove and rebuild the container from scratch ------- I have done this twice ------ to avoid this break or stop the smart connectors in the container and than upgrade.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

I haven't problems with the timeout. After some time (I didn't check it but maybe 2 hours) since the process start, the upgrade page shows this error:

Upgrade results [//Default/Localhost/Container 1] to version [7.1.5.7538.0] Could not retrieve the upgrade results. Please check back in few minutes to verify the version number.

0 Likes
BlancaRodriguez Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Jorge,

you can try a little trick I used myself with connapp. Some times it works like charm, others no.

Instead of an upgrade do a container emergency reset but loading the new version you want to put in place. Then load a container backup from the repository and "TA-DA!!" you should have the container upgraded and with your connectors.

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards

Blanca Rodriguez
SIEM Engineer
vluiz1
New Member.

There is one last trick if Blanca's method fails. Manually copy the files from an upgraded 7.1.5 connector to the faulty one. Then perform an emergency reset. The reason I say this is because I have had an instance where the "emergency reset upgrade" method has not worked for me.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Hi Blanca,

I finally could upgrade the container. I did the emergency restore but the container just clear the files, not upgrade the version. After that I could do the upgrade with the standard procedure.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Regards.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.