Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Config backup for new logger 5.5

Jump to solution

Sadly we are not on the new logger yet because we would have to wait for the patch (we have an old box). In light of this, I think I want to migrate over to our new logger which is on the new 5.5 release. But am I able to use a config backup from a 5.3 logger and upload it to 5.5 logger? That way I could avoid recreating the devices, etc. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Config backup for new logger 5.5

Jump to solution

Restoring from a Configuration Backup ( From the Logger 5.51 Admin Guide)

Make sure you are familiar with these guidelines before you restore a backup file on Logger:

When you restore content to a Logger, the existing content on it is deleted.

Logger restores the specific environment settings that were current at the time the backup was taken. Any configuration settings that were updated between the time of the backup and the time of the restore are lost.

You must restore the content to the same version of Logger that was used to create the backup file.

You must restore to the same form of Logger (software, appliance, or VMWare.)

For appliance Loggers, the Logger appliance model must be the same as the one used to create the backup file.

For software Loggers, the operating system that Logger is running must be the same as the one used to create the backup file.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I tried to upload a config from our old 5.3 logger, but it is 15 MB and I get an error on the new 5.5 logger stating that it cannot process backups of over 10 MB. Has anyone else seen this issue before? Is there any way to get around this file size limit? Thanks!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Restoring from a Configuration Backup ( From the Logger 5.51 Admin Guide)

Make sure you are familiar with these guidelines before you restore a backup file on Logger:

When you restore content to a Logger, the existing content on it is deleted.

Logger restores the specific environment settings that were current at the time the backup was taken. Any configuration settings that were updated between the time of the backup and the time of the restore are lost.

You must restore the content to the same version of Logger that was used to create the backup file.

You must restore to the same form of Logger (software, appliance, or VMWare.)

For appliance Loggers, the Logger appliance model must be the same as the one used to create the backup file.

For software Loggers, the operating system that Logger is running must be the same as the one used to create the backup file.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks Brian! Not quite the answer I was looking for, but thank you for your response nonetheless.

So if we have an appliance logger new to our environment that is a different hardware model, does that mean we have to manually get this guy configured if we want to mimic the old one?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
anirudhanayak@g Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

In our environment, we have Logger Software version 5.2. I have followed the same process as per the Logger admin guide document but unfortunately it didn't backup the configuration. I tried looking at the logger error logs, but didn't find any error specific to configuration backup failure.

Wondering if anyone in the forum have ever faced this issue??

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. ejsimon Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

I've seen this issue before of the backup config file being larger than 10 MB.   I'm not sure how to get around it.

0 Likes
richardtang1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Sure. I encounter same issue but different version. Had follow the release guide logger upgrade path. Error prompt "The version of the backup file is not restorable: Local Logger Version [6.0.0.7285.0], Config Backup Logger Version [null]".

Brian Wolff is right as quoted You must restore the content to the same version of Logger that was used to create the backup file.

Guess its license or control policy.

Cheers

0 Likes
KMac Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Can you upgrade the existing Logger to 5.5, backup the config, then restore it to the new Logger with 5.5?  You'll need to get the versions identical for the backup/restore to work.  An advantage of doing this for the new Logger means that you'll be able to load your old event archives onto the new Logger as well.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.