Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Connector differentiation !!

Hi All,

is there any way to differentiate connector (Flex or Smart) by just looking into console connector ?

or,

How can we say that weather it is flex or smart connector by just looking into console connector resources?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

graphical look is same for both connectors, a get status command will give you a quick result. (Agent type)

regards

premjith

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

So as per my experience, I have used both. Just giving my shot:

Smart Connectors are usually device based, for example, a connector for "snort sensor" will be a smart connector. On the other hand,

a flex connector is flexible (as name defines) and can be tweaked as per our requirements.  We had an IronPort web security appliance smart connector we used, but when Cisco introduced their AMP plugin (AMP logs incorporated with proxy logs), the AMP logs were not parsed properly, so after loads of research I found the way, I configured (or build) a flex connector, where I was able to use the whole log the way I wanted to use, for eg: having AMP logs in a separate column.

In short, if you don't find a smart connector for your events/logs developed by HP, just go for flex connector and build your own connector

You can read more about flex connectors:

https://protect724.hp.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/2280-102-18-17858/FlexConn_DevGuideConfig.pdf

Further to answer your question: No! you can't, but looking at "properties" file, you may.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Deepak,

If you are using ESM, then click Navigatore panel --> Resources--> Connector--> select your connector --> right click--> Send Command--> Tech Support --> Get 'agent.properties'

This will provide the agent properties of the connector , in the property of the connector check the agent - type

example:

agents[0].type=sdkfilereader   ---> this means its flex file reader connector

based on the type of the connector property you can identify whether its flex or smart connector.

if type are of below , as for example of flex connector type else it will be by the devicename for smart connector:

sdkfilereader  -Filereader

sdktbdatabase  --DB Time based

sdkibdatabase -ID based

sdktbdatabase -multiDB

snmptrap --snmp

sdkrfilereader --syslog

xqueryparser --xml

jsonparser- json

xqueryparser-scanner

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.