Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
New Member.. v-chsev@microso1
New Member..

Decrease System Storage size in ESM 6.9

After having archives and then determining we don't need archives based on our environment, we would like to reclaim that disk space and using it in our Storage Groups. We have stopped archiving and deleted all archive files, like these: arc_event_20170101.zip. However we can't increase the Allocated Size for storage groups because the System Storage still shows a large amount of space.

How can I decrease the System Storage size to make room for event storage in Storage Groups?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Honored Contributor.. brian.chong@hpe Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Decrease System Storage size in ESM 6.9

As far as I know, there is no way to decrease the storage group.

I'm little confused by your question. Are you stating that all your archives were stored in System Storage? ESM archives are pretty much flat file so they are stored in the OS file system, not in  your system or default storage group. System Storage contains all the ESM contents so deleting archive files doesn't affect the system storage. Please clarify.

thanks,

Brian Chong

0 Likes
New Member..

When looking at the ESM Command Center under Storage & Archiving, the section *below* storage groups shows System Storage. It shows current usage and then max. It is my understanding (from reading on Protect724) that the max size is the addition of various things.

The problem is that I cannot increase the Storage Group allocated size, it gives a warning. I believe it is because of the System Storage Max size. Because if I add both my Allocated size & Max system size, I get the size of my /opt volume. I need more room for Storage Groups so I can increase the Allocated size.

0 Likes
pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I am a little confused - archives don't consume space in storage groups and while you have stopped the archive process, this doesn't affect the use of space in the storage groups themselves.

A little background on storage groups - you have effectively two options with the amount of data in them - either the total amount of storage (in GB) or the number of days of data, which ever comes first. So for example, if you have 10GB and 30 days defined - the system will ensure that you don't have any data beyond 30 days in it, but equally, if you have too much data going in, and its more than 10GB, it will manage that also - so you might end up with less than 30 days or 10GB, but either way its trying to balance this out.

You have a defined set of parameters for the storage groups and system storage. The total amount of system storage allocated is defined at install time and CANNOT BE INCREASED. You can use less than this space, and thats the best practice that we recommend - you can have up to 12TB in the latest release of ESM - so we recommend allocating 12TB. BUT, you don't have to use it all, just define the storage groups for what you need and if you use less, great. Point is that you cant use more though. This is the maximum storage size, but you can define the Allocated Size to something else - so you can have a maximum of 12TB not use it and have a maximum allocated size of 5TB - you only use 5TB but you can change the allocated size later.

You can define up to 6 storage groups, and you can adjust their properties for number of days and total amount of storage to the total of the allocated size. You cannot go over the allocated size without increasing it - but of course, this is limited by the total maximum size that was defined at install time. It will actively add up the storage groups to compare it with the allocated size so that you don't go over that.

Capture.PNG

You can see this above - 37.6GB max storage (cannot be changed)

Allocated size - 26GB - just increase it from 25GB - this is fine

Storage groups - I can now increase one by 1GB!

Its that simple. Oh and the other best practice for installing ESM - allocate the available storage groups (max 6) at install time - even if you don't use them, allocate them as you can have them available for you, but just start using them when you want. Easier to do this than doing it later.

Can you confirm what your setup is?

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.. alexandru.truta Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Hi Christian,

As I understand, you would like to decrease the "System Storage" (marked with red below). Capture.JPG

In my test environment (6.9.1c) i've successfully decrease this value, using the following steps:

1. Stop all services
  2. Modify innodb_data_file_path parameter in /opt/arcsight/logger/data/mysql/my.cnf (eg. innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M;ibdata2:1G:autoextend:max:10G); update the value, but do not go less then the "current size"
  3. Restart all services

Has anyone use this approach in a production environment and can confirm that there were no errors / problems after? Because as you can find in the description "System Storage is where the Resources are stored and cannot be changed. No Resources can be created when the Current size reaches the Maximum size."

Another update that I've tested was to decrease the allocated space for the archives (if you already deleted the archive files):

1. Stop all services
  2. Update the logger.archive.space.allocated-in-gb value from /opt/arcsight/logger/current/arcsight/logger/user/logger/logger.properties
  3. Restart all services

The event storage volume size = total size - internal used space (10% of total size) - system storage - archive (in my example: 104 GB (Maximum Size) = 200 GB (size of /dev/sdb where /opt is mounted) - 20 GB (10% for internal use) - 10 GB (system storage) - 66 GB (archives).

All the best,

Alexandru

0 Likes
New Member..

Thanks Alexandru,

This is what I was talking about, thank you.

0 Likes
Contributor.. SIEM0n Contributor..
Contributor..

How did the change of innodb_data_file_path parameter worked for you?

I'm a bit of woried by the comment in my.cnf file before this property:

"DO NOT change the following line!!!"

I would like to adjust this value as well (set to 260GB and only 6GB in use...)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.