Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

ESM 6.91 HA install sanity check

Hello, I am running the ESM HA first boot wizard and it is asking me for the metadata volume parameters.  The install guide indicates that if the ESM's are appliances the metadata volume is already created, but it does not tell me what the volume is.

So I'm stuck.  I believe whatever I specify will get wiped as part of the install, so I want to be 100% clear on this part.

Any help appreciated.....

edit - my guess is that the  partition /dev/sda6 - which appears to be sized properly @ 72 M (at least according to the user guide / formula) - is the metadata target.

Can anybody from HP confirm if this is correct...? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ESM 6.91 HA install sanity check

Hi Randy,

Can you please tell me which document and page you found the information re.  metadata volume already created the appliance? I was looking through the documentation but could not seem to find it.

Thanks and regards,

Erdy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Never mind. I found it. Now that I understand your question better, I am trying to find out how to find out which volume contains the metadata on the appliances. I will get back to you as soon as I have the answer.

Warm regards,

Erdy Suarez

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you Erdy, fyi I opened a support ticket this morning to ask this question.  The HA install is sitting in limbo pending the clarification.  Thanks for any help.....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Randy,

I just got a reply from one of our backline engineers:

"If this is brand new following the guide should work, worst case, (if something goes wrong) factory restore should not be too painful."

Also, from reading the guide, it looks like you should be able to "skip" providing the info? Hopefully this will help get you going. Please let me know if you really want to still find out the name of the volume so we can pursue in finding it out.

If this is NOT a brand new install, then please let me know the background so we can give you the proper steps to move on.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Warm regards,

Erdy

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Erdy, there are some areas in the install where I can just accept the defaults, but the install does not appear to let me skip this step (the prompt repeats unless I enter some data there).  Since this is an appliance I don't want to mess with the disk partitioning, my gut feeling is that /dev/sda6 is the correct one, but clarification is appreciated

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Randy,

I definitely understand. Just checked on your ticket and it looks like you are in great hands with Akzel. He's one of our best engineers.

Warm regards,

Erdy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Randy,

I forgot to ask. If you don't mind posting the correct answer to your question for the benefit of the community?

Thanks and regards,

Erdy

0 Likes
Highlighted

Happy to do so...

0 Likes
Highlighted

FWIW - HPE support confirmed that the existing partition /dev/sda6 on the appliances (in this case, the E7600) is the intended metadata partition.  This partition is correctly sized as per the HA User Guide formula, etc. but it is not specified in the Guide.  According to the ticket, there is a request in place to add this info to the next iteration of the doc.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.