Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Trusted Contributor.. Miroslav Marcisin Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

ESM 7.0 P1 HA instalation fail

Jump to solution

Hi, as I install new production env of ESM 7.0 P1 with HA I assume to problem with firstbootwizzard

ERROR - unsupported kernel version 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64

Operating system is RedHat Enterprise Linux 7.4

Another problem is with meta partition, I get this errors:

master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  ERROR - /dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta should not be mounted.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  ERROR - /dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta appears to be in use. See the following output from "blkid -o export /dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta"
DEVNAME=/dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta
UUID=d12d27fd-f265-440c-aeca-578dd2c3f172
TYPE=ext4
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  If this volume is not in use, run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta"  as root on master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo to clear this volume and then re-run the First Boot Wizard.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  ERROR - Fatal error detected. See /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/install.log.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  Errors found. Please correct the problems found in the above lines beginning with ERROR.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  Consult /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/install.log on this server and /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/secondaryHelper.log on the secondary for further information.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:06:13  Then re-run the First Boot Wizard as the user arcsight:

So, I ran command

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta

on both nodes,  but then I recieved this error:

master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:07:55  ERROR - /dev/mapper/rhel-dev_meta should not be mounted.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:07:55  ERROR - Fatal error detected. See /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/install.log.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:07:55  Errors found. Please correct the problems found in the above lines beginning with ERROR.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:07:55  Consult /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/install.log on this server and /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/logs/secondaryHelper.log on the secondary for further information.
master-esm-b2b.cz.tmo:   2018-11-27 14:07:55  Then re-run the First Boot Wizard as the user arcsight:

when I try to unmount this meta partition, then firstbootwizzard is unable to locale this meta partition and are unable to set /dev/meta partition as meta...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ESM 7.0 P1 HA instalation fail

Jump to solution

Hi Miroslav,

Related to kernel version.

The DRBD packages are built for the specific version of it. In my case, I was able to install on the initial one that RHEL 7.4 is coming. This is "3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64".

............................................................................................

# modinfo drbd
filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64/weak-updates/drbd/drbd.ko
alias: block-major-147-*
license: GPL
version: 8.4.10-1
description: drbd - Distributed Replicated Block Device v8.4.10-1
author: Philipp Reisner <phil@linbit.com>, Lars Ellenberg <lars@linbit.com>
rhelversion: 7.4
srcversion: BE2E3618B994F3FDF407387
depends: libcrc32c
vermagic: 3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: enable_faults:int
parm: fault_rate:int
parm: fault_count:int
parm: fault_devs:int
parm: allow_oos:DONT USE! (bool)
parm: disable_sendpage:bool
parm: proc_details:int
parm: minor_count:Approximate number of drbd devices (1-255) (uint)
parm: usermode_helper:string

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

from https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/238167/how-to-understand-the-modinfo-output/238183

vermagic:

the strings in the valuevermagic are checked if they match. If they don't match you will get an error and the kernel refuses to load the module.

In this case, 3.10.0-693.xx will be supported kernel and unfortunately if you want to be supported by 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 then you need to wait until a patch will be released.

Related to metadata.

The partition must exist, created but without been formatted or mounted. Recreate the partition but this time does not formatted or mounted. He must exist and nothing more.

If you are interested in how to calculate the size of it then you can follow this article:

https://serverfault.com/questions/433999/calculating-drbd-meta-size

Note: since the script will install extra packages of  RHEL or CentOS before running it configure the repository for both servers.

All the best,

Daniel

3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Miroslav,

Related to kernel version.

The DRBD packages are built for the specific version of it. In my case, I was able to install on the initial one that RHEL 7.4 is coming. This is "3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64".

............................................................................................

# modinfo drbd
filename: /lib/modules/3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64/weak-updates/drbd/drbd.ko
alias: block-major-147-*
license: GPL
version: 8.4.10-1
description: drbd - Distributed Replicated Block Device v8.4.10-1
author: Philipp Reisner <phil@linbit.com>, Lars Ellenberg <lars@linbit.com>
rhelversion: 7.4
srcversion: BE2E3618B994F3FDF407387
depends: libcrc32c
vermagic: 3.10.0-693.17.1.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: enable_faults:int
parm: fault_rate:int
parm: fault_count:int
parm: fault_devs:int
parm: allow_oos:DONT USE! (bool)
parm: disable_sendpage:bool
parm: proc_details:int
parm: minor_count:Approximate number of drbd devices (1-255) (uint)
parm: usermode_helper:string

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

from https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/238167/how-to-understand-the-modinfo-output/238183

vermagic:

the strings in the valuevermagic are checked if they match. If they don't match you will get an error and the kernel refuses to load the module.

In this case, 3.10.0-693.xx will be supported kernel and unfortunately if you want to be supported by 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 then you need to wait until a patch will be released.

Related to metadata.

The partition must exist, created but without been formatted or mounted. Recreate the partition but this time does not formatted or mounted. He must exist and nothing more.

If you are interested in how to calculate the size of it then you can follow this article:

https://serverfault.com/questions/433999/calculating-drbd-meta-size

Note: since the script will install extra packages of  RHEL or CentOS before running it configure the repository for both servers.

All the best,

Daniel

Trusted Contributor.. Miroslav Marcisin Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks, that was a problem.. I had installed Rhel 7.4, but our unix team made yum update, which caused upgrade to 7.5 respectively 7.6

I found the right kernel version and installed, but afterwards I found problem with "too new" packages as systemd etc.. so clean reinstall of rhel 7.4 is only solution.

Error: Package: systemd-python-219-42.el7_4.10.x86_64 (rhel-7-server-rpms)
           Requires: systemd = 219-42.el7_4.10
           Installed: systemd-219-62.el7.x86_64 (@rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server)

Eq. problem with metadata solution - I found problem, that on secondary node was mounted and formated as ext4, even with dd command, ext header still was on the mounted partition, after umout, all works well.

So only solution is make new, fresh install of rhel. I hope this time I recieve system without any updates :)

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Miroslav,

as always ArcSight is documenting the supported platform for ESM using a Support Matrix as in the following link for each release:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/ESM-and-ESM-Express/ArcSight-ESM-Support-Matrix/ta-p/1587254?attachment-id=69090

In this case for ArcSight 7.0 Patch 1 the only supported OS is RHEL & CentOS 7.4 and more than ever for HA, since the DRBD modules are comiled for specific version of kernel, you need be comply with the version of it.

all the best,

Daniel

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.