Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ESM & Database High Availability with Red Hat Cluster Suite?

Hi,

is anyone running, or has tried to run ArcSight in an HA setup with Red Hat cluster suite?

Veritas or EMC are not our prefered options as our Linux guys use Red Hat cluster suite as their standard HA solution.

So I would be happy on any feedback or experience on that topic.

Thanks & best regards         

Florian

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not with redhat cluster suite but we are tried with LGTO third party product. And next week we will try with using EMC auto start. I will let you know about the process and result.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi Florian,

have you meanwhile done some tests with RH Cluster?

I got the same request from a customer recently and wonder if you could share your experience.

thanks, Till

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Till,

no we haven't done any tests yet. I was hoping to get an "Yes it works" answer so we could avoid testing 🙂

So if your other customer does tests I would be happy to hear about the outcome.

RHCS is just one possible path for our future HA migration. Both our Linux and Windows guys are also heavy into virtualization so the suggested to run Manager and DB as a virtual machine and let the virtualization software take care about the HA issues.They said there should not be any big difference in performance compared to a physical system. I doubt that a littel especially in regard to the I/O importance for the DB. But then again, I am no virtualization expert...

Do you have any experience / knowledge on that?

Cheers

Florian

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

I asked regarding RedHat Cluster Suite support, but i tried some other open source softwares to do that and it worked like charm.

Used DRBD and Heartbeat softwares, Heartbeat provides the HA functionality and DRBD provides the Network based Raid1, Used 2 server diff disks and then those disks mirrored using DRBD, installed Manager using vip and tht's it.

Only service restart is required, nothing else around 1 minute approx downtime, not more than that.

Definetely it will work with RHCS as well and i gotta try that, anyway, i didn't prepared the doc for that, but now we are going to put it in production so this time there will be a document. so i will upload it here soon.

Regards,

Anwar    

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If in case you have prepared some document on how you have set-up the DR can you please share if possible.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Rahul

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Since ArcSight was not ready to support us on RHCS client dropped that option and I didn't got the chance to proceed with testing for RHCS.

If you have experience with Linux and Clustering concepts; give it a try it works with Oracle based esm and for CORRE I heard HP is about to release new version which will have HA option inbuilt.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes, ESM 6.8 (due shortly, in beta with select customers now) will add HA capability. Its fail-over though, but does use Linbit which makes use of DRDB replication from the primary to the secondary.

Some discussion here -

And here -

The second link has the link to the Protect 14 presentation delivered by R&D about the feature / functionality.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.