Highlighted
Established Member.. anwarrhce1
Established Member..

ESM setup on CentOS ???

Jump to solution

Dear All,

Can anyone please confirm, if we setup our arcsight production setup on CentOS, then "ArcSight support will be valid or not"

I heard that ArcSight support will not be valid if manager or DB is installed on CentOS, just want to confirm here.

Please advice.

Rgds,

Anwar

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bondarets Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ESM setup on CentOS ???

Jump to solution

Gary, I know the difference between CentOS and RHEL. Theoretical risk of "critical issue" could be easily mitigated by Q&A testing, which is anyway done for any ArcSight product release. And it's up to end user to accept or not accept this risk. Also using RHEL does not guarantee anything by itself, what if this "issue" happen just after you decided not to prolong support for RHEL?

I can repeat, that Logger and ConApp are officially supported to be installed on particular versions of CentOS, so in my opinion it's only a matter of time when the same will be applied to ESM. It really matters for many customers. Many of those I know, don't want to buy RHEL, because they already have something else as an internal standard for linux OS, SLES, for example. So, what would you tell them? "Go and buy couple of RHELs! Don't you have money, huh?" or "Well, this could be easily done with free CentOS, you don't need to have another contract for another linux OS, just accept CentOS+ESM as a complex, solid solution."

I suppose that from point of sales strategy, flexibility (with some minor risks involved) is much better than unbendable, regid position.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

AFAIK ArcSight will refuse support for this installation, because it's not a supported plattform.

But I never tried to push my luck...

All supported operating systems are listed here.

- br Tobias

0 Likes
dharmesh.pattni1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Yes that's correct.

The ArcSight Support would not be available for CentOS installation.

But as a suggestion, it'd be better not to use a CentOS installation in a "production" environment.

br

Dharmesh

0 Likes
thomas.chan@hp. Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

For all ESM products that running on Linux, only Red hat Enterprise Linux will be supported.  Please refer to the installation guide for more detail information.  Thanks .

0 Likes
bondarets Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

That's quite immature and inconsistently from HP side. Logger and ConApp officially support installation on CentOS. Only ESM still doesn't, though 6.x works very well on it and 6.5c even don't complain about unsupported platform during installation. So I hope that soon CentOS support will be added officially. There is no reasonable cause not to do that.

0 Likes
gary.w1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

@Ivan, CentOS should not use for production environment because it doesn’t not have an enterprise support like RedHat Enterprise Linux.

For example, if user encounter any critical issue with RedHat Enterprise Linux, RedHat will provide a solution / patch update as soon as possible.  If you are running CentOS, you will have to wait for 6 – 9 months before you get the fixed or patch update. 

I am sure many of us ask the questions "CentOS vs RedHat" I found the following post has a good solid answer :: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/27323/is-centos-exactly-the-same-as-rhel

//------------------
CentOS is very close to being RHEL without the branding and support. In particular, the library versions are the same, so binaries that work on one will work on the other. The administration tools are the same and configured in similar ways. However, there are a few differences, as the two distributions sometimes apply different minor patches. For example, in this question, it was apparent that RHEL 5 and CentOS 5 apply different rules to identify files under /etc/cron.d.

In other words, at the level of your course, you can treat CentOS and RHEL as interchangeable. But if you needed to look up the precise behavior of a program in a corner of the man page, you may encounter differences.

//------------------

CentOS is very similar to RedHat Enterprise Linux but they are not exactly the same 🙂

0 Likes
bondarets Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Gary, I know the difference between CentOS and RHEL. Theoretical risk of "critical issue" could be easily mitigated by Q&A testing, which is anyway done for any ArcSight product release. And it's up to end user to accept or not accept this risk. Also using RHEL does not guarantee anything by itself, what if this "issue" happen just after you decided not to prolong support for RHEL?

I can repeat, that Logger and ConApp are officially supported to be installed on particular versions of CentOS, so in my opinion it's only a matter of time when the same will be applied to ESM. It really matters for many customers. Many of those I know, don't want to buy RHEL, because they already have something else as an internal standard for linux OS, SLES, for example. So, what would you tell them? "Go and buy couple of RHELs! Don't you have money, huh?" or "Well, this could be easily done with free CentOS, you don't need to have another contract for another linux OS, just accept CentOS+ESM as a complex, solid solution."

I suppose that from point of sales strategy, flexibility (with some minor risks involved) is much better than unbendable, regid position.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ArikN1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Quite easy and quite doable

Contact me on Private and ill guide you

Arik.

0 Likes
reswob4 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

We are running ESM 6.5c on CentOS 6.2 and have not had any problems getting support.  Mostly they just ask for logs anyway and when you submit a support ticket, they only ask for the OS (Windows or Linux) not which flavor.

We have been running for a while and have had no problems.

0 Likes
Established Member.. anwarrhce1
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Even the CentOS developers are also the same RedHat developers.

Its just the matter of Support.

0 Likes
pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

You are correct - its a matter of support. When releasing a product, customers need to know the versions of the supported OS and as a result the development team need to test as much as they can. Its actually very difficult to add a new OS and the time and effort required is actually very extensive. For HP release and support minimum standards it is expected that support is a minimum of 2-3 years for each and every product and platform.

It might be simple to add CentOS since the similarity, but that means we need to do the regression testing on versions and also make sure we provide full support for multiple years going forward. Platform / OS support is a very serious point as upgrading a product is relatively simple, upgrading the OS is much more painful - and as a result we can't just pull the rug from under someone in a short period of time. Its not great.

We recently added SUSE support for CORR based versions of ESM and the Oracle based versions take an age to regression test on the spread of platforms there. We need to speed up releases and do them faster, more efficiently and on a more aggressive cycle - adding platforms will only increase things I am afraid. Not saying we won't add CentOS (actually its quite positive), but just because of its similarity to RHEL, it doesnt make it easier I am afraid.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.