Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

ESM6 ingest first indication of something else bad..?

Jump to solution

-= 2015-01-05 Update -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Answer wrote:

You need to add a line in the server.defaults.wrapper.conf file, in the additional parameters section.

My line:  wrapper.java.additional.12=-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256m

The index (12 in my case) needs to be adjusted depending on your file and changes you may have done to it.

NOTE: Do not modify this parameter without first consulting support.  This is a pretty dramatic change and there is definitely a wrong way to do it!

We finally have tested this in both our production and development environments.  We haven't had a reoccurrence in Dev in about 3 months and in prod in about 1 month.  This seems like a success.  We have had moments where the ESM will start to cache across the connectors, but it seems to recover without a restart.  Thanks for helping and all the support everyone, I am sure there may be other symptoms that are similar, but this specific issue seems to be resolved on our system.

-= ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I know this is a fishing expedition, but im hoping we aren't the only ones going through this...  Maybe as a group we can combine our knowledge and findings..

Basically we have a system which we have been running in production between 10-25k EPS on ESM6 patch 1.

System specs are beyond recommendations (512gb ram, SSD in raid 10, 4x10 xeons).

Anyway - under normal circumstances our system does not have issues (besides ones already identified in other threads).  But periodically (random ~1-2 time per month max, we have gone 2+ months with no issue) we have this slowdown, it is visible in nearly everything, and a manager service restart fixes the issue completely.

Noticed symptoms:
-Insertion rates overall go down drastically (all connectors - normally we maintain between 50-80ms ingest on monitor:102 events, after slowdown 200-500+)

-ESM Garbage collections happen extremely frequently (normally they are 1/hr, they will be sporadic ~10-30minutes apart)

-Large trends slow down drastically (usually take about twice as long)

-CPU utilization goes up dramatically (normally we maintain 10-20% CPU at peak, it will spike and maintain 60-70%+)

Our investigations have come up fairly dry:

-The slowdown does not occur at specific timeframes, thus far seems random - occurs maybe 1-2 times per month max-

-Does not start necessarily during EPS peaks (we normally peak around 10am PST - this has occurred at night, sundays, and at 2pm - no definitive time/eps correlation)

-I do have monitoring set up looking for resource changes (trends/lists/etc) and nothing has come up conclusive

-Restarting the ESM/manager service *only* completely resolves the issue (not the server, MySQL, logger, etc)

-^^^Adding to the restart fixing - ZERO other changes are made to the system (conf, content, event/filtering/aggregation, etc)

To be honest, I am a bit at a loss...  Has anyone else come across something similar - found resolution or made headway?

Just for full disclosure link below contains our system specs and configured parameters:

https://protect724.arcsight.com/thread/8414

Edit: 9/24/2014 - I don't know why this wasn't done earlier... But wrote a quick script that will put all of your full GCs in order

grep "Full GC" -A1 /opt/arcsight/manager/logs/default/server.std.log* | awk '{print $6 " " $7 " | " $9 " " $10}' | sort

0 Likes
111 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I recently had a health check performed and the ESM crashed and burned while he was here. The fix mentioned above was added and I am running at 44K EPS with a load of ~10 for two weeks straight without any issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello all,

After the EPS load is doubled - from 2000 EPS to 4000 EPS - we have the performance issue too - here are some details:

https://protect724.hp.com/message/54348#54348

So far the point is to check in server BIOS if Hyper-threading is enabled or disabled.

Pavel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Pavel,

Like I said in your other thread, I'm pretty sure HT won't fix anything. The only fix seems to be the additionnal java line.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I agree to a point with Answer.  I think the HT change is not a bad idea based on some research we did internally, but most of our issues were software related, not hardware unfortunately.  If you're going the route of checking hardware and BIOS, some HP servers have power profile issues as well which can cause slowness.

Having a performance problem hard to resolve? – Have you checked your host BIOS lately… | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware B…

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.