jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ESM6 ingest first indication of something else bad..?

Jump to solution

Answer wrote:

On my side, I see none of these events, except when the manager is restarted, I get a manager:100

Thanks!  Is anyone seeing "manager:" or "database:" events when the ingest problem occurs?

-Joe

0 Likes
superman Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Joe,   manager: and other internal monitor: events do not appear when manager is overloaded with events or having an issue processing events.   It seems that at some point manager "decides" that these are of a lower priority ...

0 Likes
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Clark Kent,

From your other post:

"22-30K eps for 30 days+  ;  no reboot or manager restart  ;  no issues"

Does that mean you see the issue on your system too?

FYI - Sometimes you'll see the following when the manager is having issues with ingest. (But apparently not for what we're trying to fix in this thread)

manager:200

manager:201

database:102

-Joe

0 Likes
Established Member.. raymond.doty
Established Member..

Jump to solution

We have zero manager:200, manager:201, and database:102 events.  This occurred last night and there were none.

It triggered none of my 'critical system failures' which has a whole series of event ID (including manager 200/201, although I don't have database 102 - have 100/101) in it...

0 Likes
william.schroed Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I am using Kaminario SSD and 125 connectors into ESM and I also have the issue with high CPU and no persisitance. I am also suffering from the IPV6 error mentioned above. Support tried to blame the name of a connector which is clearly not the issue. I am suprised that support was not aware of this asset creation problem as it seems to have to documented tickets.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks- How did you find this out? I was having an issue with esm and supported pointed out this error and claimed it was my content.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Weird update, support just had us restart the rules engine (not the entire manager service) via the new version of manage.jsp.  Cleared up our GC issues, caches, and memory real quick... (strikethrough'd the rule engine restart because it causes some major irrecoverable problems)

Going to monitor for a couple weeks to see if this maintains the same as a manager service restart...

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

How do you restart the rules engine?

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

***This is not a command to be used lightly!!!  I would highly suggest troubleshooting this through support.

Login to the ESM 6 advanced admin web console, system management, rules engine, and then restart at the bottom.  I also didn't know of this capability before today.

(strikethrough'd the rule engine restart because it causes some major irrecoverable problems)

0 Likes
Answer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Well, when I opened my console this morning, I actually had the problem occuring. EPS were at 6k (normally 10-12k) and cache was pilling up. So I did try to restart the rules engine, and to my surprise, it actually worked!!! EPS went to 20k almost instantly and cache cleared up.

One thing I did not check was the CPU load, but, lately, I had the problem every 4-5 days, so I'll have plenty of occasions to check it out!

Thanks a lot for that info Ray, everyone will stop complaining about the frequent manager restarts!

0 Likes
jbur Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

This is awesome Ray, thanks for sharing!

So instead of restarting the manager every week, we just need to restart the rules engine?

I'm assuming any events the rule was accumulating towards a threshold would get dumped.

-Joe

0 Likes
Answer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

One thing I just noticed, I got couple dashboards that are not working after the Rules Engine restart. Less of an impact on the analysts logged in, but bad if the dashboards stop working... (although I seen this behavior with 1 or 2 dashboards after a manager restart)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.