Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Honored Contributor.. dhartman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: ESM6 ingest first indication of something else bad..?

Jump to solution

Of course I read this comment AFTER i clicked the restart rules engine button which of course didnt start the rules engine back up.  It would be handy to know how to start the rules engine when the restart doesnt work...if the restart ever works that is ;-D

0 Likes
Established Member.. raymond.doty
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Answer wrote:

You need to add a line in the server.defaults.wrapper.conf file, in the additional parameters section.

My line:  wrapper.java.additional.12=-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256m

The index (12 in my case) needs to be adjusted depending on your file and changes you may have done to it.

NOTE: Do not modify this parameter without first consulting support.  This is a pretty dramatic change and there is definitely a wrong way to do it!

We finally have tested this in both our production and development environments.  We haven't had a reoccurance in dev in about 3 months and in prod in about 1 month.  This seems like a success.  We have had moments where the ESM will start to cache across the connectors, but it seems to recover without a restart.  Thanks for helping everyone, I am sure there may be other symptoms that are similar, but this seems to be resolved on our system.

0 Likes
Answer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ray, I'm glad your problem was also resolved with this magical line. Our prod box has been running strong for 3 months now. I did also saw occurences where cache would build up across all the connectors, but it quickly goes back to normal, so it's fine with me. Global cache rarely gets over 1 million (with 12-14k EPS), so no worries there.

0 Likes
william.schroed Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I recently had a health check performed and the ESM crashed and burned while he was here. The fix mentioned above was added and I am running at 44K EPS with a load of ~10 for two weeks straight without any issues.

0 Likes
pavel.novotny Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello all,

After the EPS load is doubled - from 2000 EPS to 4000 EPS - we have the performance issue too - here are some details:

https://protect724.hp.com/message/54348#54348

So far the point is to check in server BIOS if Hyper-threading is enabled or disabled.

Pavel

0 Likes
Answer Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Pavel,

Like I said in your other thread, I'm pretty sure HT won't fix anything. The only fix seems to be the additionnal java line.

0 Likes
Established Member.. raymond.doty
Established Member..

Jump to solution

I agree to a point with Answer.  I think the HT change is not a bad idea based on some research we did internally, but most of our issues were software related, not hardware unfortunately.  If you're going the route of checking hardware and BIOS, some HP servers have power profile issues as well which can cause slowness.

Having a performance problem hard to resolve? – Have you checked your host BIOS lately… | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware B…

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.