Highlighted
sanj Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Fail disk message in ESM HA cluster

Hi,

We completed HA configuration between ESM appliances (HP Proliant DL380) v6.11

After configuration when we checked the cluster status we got the below message
I checked ESM HA user guide chapter 9 where it describes the fail message.
During HA configuration We used 3 IP addresses (one for primary ESM , One for secondary ESM and one service IP)
The confusion is about primary cable IP and secondary cable IP
In my case Primary cable IP is same as Primary ESM IP and secondary cable IP is same as service IP.

[root@pdcesmap01 ~]# /usr/lib/arcsight/highavail/bin/arcsight_cluster status
Mon Jun 17 16:18:51 IST 2019 FAIL Disk: UpToDate/Outdated, 1 Nodes offline, 3 Resources Stopped
pdcesmap01: online Primary
pdcesmap02: offline

Disk: WFConnection UpToDate/Outdated

OK Network-pdcesmap01
FAIL Network-pdcesmap02

Started ESM
Started Failover-Check-pdcesmap01
Stopped Failover-Check-pdcesmap02
Started Filesystem
Started Ping-pdcesmap01
Stopped Ping-pdcesmap02
Started STONITH-SSH-pdcesmap01
Stopped STONITH-SSH-pdcesmap02
Started Service-IP

Please suggest

Regards,
Sandeep

0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Fail disk message in ESM HA cluster

@sanj 

my suggestion: open a support ticket. and don't try to change anything yourself!

It seems that you read the manual after you did the installation.

"During HA configuration We used 3 IP addresses (one for primary ESM , One for secondary ESM and one service IP)
The confusion is about primary cable IP and secondary cable IP
In my case Primary cable IP is same as Primary ESM IP and secondary cable IP is same as service IP."

you need 5 IP addresses, as:

cable IPs are used to sync the disks independently from any other network traffic. (hence you should use a direct connection (cross cable) for this, as described in the manual.

the service IP is a virtual ip, which is assigned to the active node of the cluster. You used it as secondary cable IP... now you have either set the same IP to 2 NICs and hence an issue, or you have another undeterminable  IP configuration now.

the 2 other IPs  are used for each node of the cluster, so that you can reach them via SSH, independently from the Service IP.

There is one last IP you did not use, thats ( i am writing this from the top of my head, so please excuse, if the term is different in the guide) a Ping-Test host. Each node tries to ping this 3rd host, to determine the sate of the network at all (when i remember right). So this should be another host, not one of the cluster you configured.

Getting the config right from the state you have it in, sound very risky to me - and needs to be done from somebody with good experience. I am not adding any advise or solution Idea hear, as changes to Heartbeat and drbd (used for disk sync) are kind of prone to errors.

what you can already do is, think about the direct connection cable (Cable_IP) between the 2 appliances and how long it will take you to get those devices linked. Our datacenter could take some weeks for this...

Good luck.

A

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Fail disk message in ESM HA cluster

checked the HA User guide, which to my bind is really one of the best guides HPE back then released.

The Introduction chapter on page 7 says[1] and also shows a picture[2].

Whenever I do an HA installation a print the guide on paper, make nodes of the IPs to use and follow it line by line.

I wish you had asked your questions about the uncertainty with the HA terms and designs upfront.

Cheers

A.

[1]

The HA Module is installed on the primary of two adjacent machines connected by an Ethernet
crossover cable. The HA Module replicatesthe installation and all data by mirroring the hard disk
partition to the secondary machine.
The two systems each have an individual host IP addressthat is configured statically. In addition, you
define a separate Service IP addressthat is used to identify the cluster. You willspecify the Service IP
during installation of the HA Module. During a failover, the HA Module reassignsthe Service IP
dynamically to the new primary system.

[2]

HA-Setup.png 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.