Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Natarajan Ponniah Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Fatal Error while Installing the ESM

While Installing the ESM I have got fatal error, and that error shows the Installation of Logger is failed.

Can some one help me on this what needs to be done next. Even I tried

BR

Nataraj

NATARAJAN PONNIAH
Labels (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
smazhar Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Fatal Error while Installing the ESM

You installing a new ESM or upgrading the ESM that has connections/hierarchies to loggers..??

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

The answer will be within the first couple of log files that the error says to review - have you looked at them? if so and you are still confused feel free to post the output from the firstbootsetup.

If i was to hazard a guess based on the limited information you have posted - looking at your SSH session you are logged in as arcsight@localhost - i would suspect that the ESM installation has failed at the Hostname lookup as you may not have set a permanent hostname (other than localhost) on the server and / or it may not be resolvable via either DNS or preferably the /etc/hosts file.

If your logs point to a ping error then that is the likely reason.

0 Likes
pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Kevin makes one of the simplest but most relevant points here around the setup of ESM (in comparison with Logger). ESM insists that it has a valid IP address and a FQDN that can resolve back to the IP - that means that the lookup has to work and  you cant just use localhost. This is a common issue on install and usually the installer will just drop out like this, stopping it from going any further on initial setup.

Please clean up the install, try again and make sure you are using an IP address that the server has, use a FQDN that is resolvable and make sure you enter all of the relevant data for the install.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thanks Kevin,

I can able to ping i have changed in the etc/hosts file.

Yes i have asked the OS team set the localhost properly and provide the fresh installation. Is there any mandatory of supporting OS version in Redhat and CentOS?

NATARAJAN PONNIAH
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I have requested my Linux team for fresh OS and set the FQDN. Will proceed and keep you posted if i face any issues.

NATARAJAN PONNIAH
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.