lgabrielli Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

File system partitioning when install Software Logger

Jump to solution

Hi,

I need to install a Logger 6.7 software (capable of collecting 16 TB of data). My experience is based on the appliance model only.

Reading the installation guide I have doubts about file system partitioning and installation path. The default installation path is /opt for the ArcSight software.

Which is the file system used to collect data?

In the Logger appliance is /opt/data.

When install the logger software , the only path requested is where I want install the software.

Where should I configure the logger to collect logs under the file system /opt/data?

Could a partitioning of the so defined file systems be good?

/boot --> 101 MB,

/ --> 150 GB,

/opt/arcsight/userdata --> 50.0 GB

/opt/data --> 16 TB

Regards,

Luca

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor.

Re: File system partitioning when install Software Logger

Jump to solution

Hi Lar,
yes it really help me.

Please can you check if the file system partitioning can be Ok?

/ --> 80 GB,
/tmp --> 1 GB,
/opt --> 16120 GB

Thank you for the explanation.
Regards,

Luca

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Luca

hope you are well!

"The default installation path is /opt for the ArcSight software" - this is the default offered during install. 

What ever path is chosen at this time will determine the rest of the file path.

If you used /opt as the default install, then the data directory will be located at /opt/data. 

If you used something like /opt/arcsight, then the data directory will be located at /opt/arcsight/data.

So you can configure the data directory to be, /opt/<chosen_install_path>/data/

/ should be a minimum of 40GBs and should be kept at less then 50% according to the release notes 

see page 6 -> https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Logger/Logger-Release-Notes-6-71/ta-p/1790256

- /opt/Blah/data will store live events

-/opt/blah/current - is where the software is installed to.

Hope it helps,

Lar

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Lar,
yes it really help me.

Please can you check if the file system partitioning can be Ok?

/ --> 80 GB,
/tmp --> 1 GB,
/opt --> 16120 GB

Thank you for the explanation.
Regards,

Luca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hey Luca,

Yes this looks fine to me.

Probably worth configuring an external NFS / CIFs with at least the same capacity for the archives.

The latest version of logger has the ability to delete the archives based on retention. Its worth calculating how much data you need to able to store in the archives.

Your archives as well as the nightly config backup are basically the backup of the system,

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Lar

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Lar,

I really appreciate your support.

Thank you

Luca

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. dkuehner Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Just size the disks for the OS as usual (depending on the software you want to install), be sure to mount enough space for /tmp as well (see install guide).

I would recommend installing in /opt/arcsight and to mount all the space you want to use for ArcSight under /opt/arcsight. Everything ArcSight is creating is put in that folder and you can backup/move it anywhere.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.