Highlighted
Miran Arsalan Sleman Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Flex connector for RHEL 7.6 troubleshoot

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I have developed a Syslog  Flex connector for RHEL 7.6  listen to 9514udp, i did a Regex correctly and mapping all the tokens.  after finishing the Flex connector i did not receive any event to my logger while we setup correct destination port and receiver names. however i did "tcpdump" on ArcMc which i created the Flex connector i can see the Syslog packets coming to port 9514udp but the connector seems does not catch them. i can not find any events in the logger. 😞    which Flex configuration file should i modify or change to make it working ?    

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mschleich Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Flex connector for RHEL 7.6 troubleshoot

Jump to solution

Hi Miran,

2019-06-19 09:42:31,021][WARN ][default.com.arcsight.agent.transport.a.j][setIsUp] ET[ArcSight Logger SmartMessage (encrypted)[{cefver=0.1, port=443, host=Logger.company.com, rcvrname=TestReciver, compression=Disabled}]] down. Had been up since [Mon Jun 17 11:37:52 AST 2019] (0w 1d 22h 4m 38s 905msec)

It seems that the Logger or the receiver is down.

Did you enable the receiver on Logger and the type has been correctly setup as Smart Message (CEF)?

Did you change the agent.properties as recommended?

There is a last test you can do to identify if the issue is from source to connector or connector to Logger.

Could you please cat the file named:

/opt/arcsight/connectors/connector_3/current/user/agent/agentdata/3wLCVZGsBABCAAoohIjOU5g==_queue.syslogd.0

where 0 at the end could be a bigger number.
Do you see your events?

If yes, we are good the issue is between connector and Logger.
   If not, your connector does not receive the logs.

Could you please send us an extract of the agent.out.wrapper.log from the moment you restart the connector?

The key word is: "===> Starting"  ?

Could you please answer to those question and give me a status on your issue?
We should find what is wrong very soon.

Thanks
Regards

Michael

0 Likes
19 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Did you make sure the firewall is open on your RHEL for port 9514udp?

------------------------------------
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful or mark it as an accepted solution if it resolves your issue.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi ,
Thank you for your kind reply

Yes for sure. Do you think i have to change some parameter in the ".properties" files after finishing the Flex wizard ?
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi Miran,

Firstly you have to be sure that you receive events before to start working on the flex parser.

Could you please do the following 3 main actions?

1) enable Preserve Raw Event for Logger destination.
You can do that with ArcMC or by commande line
2) confirm that you have not put the filterOut at true during the connector config because you will filter all events.
3) did you enable the receiver in Logger ?
SmartMessages type. The same you choose during the connector config for Logger destination.

Do you get events in Logger in rawEvent field?
If no, you have a network issue or the source does not send any event
If yes, how they looks like correctly parsed or not how is the syslog header in the raw.

Just answer me and I will continue to help you to troubleshoot this.

But I need to be sure you receive logs.

Thanks
Regards

Michael Schleich
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Michael ,

Sorry for late reply,  regarding your points :

1) Preserve Raw Event already enabled from the ESM (i already added ESM as a destination too). but unfortunately there is no events coming to the ESM nor loggers.

2) not sure.

3) yes the receiver is same type and already enabled.

I can see the Flex connector statistics events it self  "Connector Raw Event Statistics" on the ESM. 

while i'm doing tcpdump on the ArcMc i can see traffics coming to the server. 

Thank you.

Appreciate your support

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Michael 

I wanted to add little bit more information regarding the agent details here below is agent.properties parameters for my flex connector. 

#ArcSight Properties File
#Format Preserving Encryption Enabled Flag should NOT be manually edited!
#Thu Jun 13 15:56:40 AST 2019
action.execute.shell.command.enabled=false
agents.maxAgents=1
agents[0].AgentSequenceNumber=0
agents[0].aggregationcachesize=1000
agents[0].customsubagentlist=ciscopix_syslog|netscreen_syslog|cyberguard_syslog|niksun_syslog|sourcefire_syslog|intrushield_syslog|ciscovpnios_syslog|sonicwall_syslog|apache_syslog|netscreen_idp_syslog|ciscovpnnoios_syslog|attackmitigator_syslog|rsaace_syslog|ciscoaironet_syslog|ciscoworks_syslog|ciscorouter_syslog|nortelvpn_syslog|pf_syslog|coreguard_syslog|watchguard_syslog|fortigate_syslog|peakflow_syslog|honeyd_syslog|neoteris_syslog|prosafe_syslog|trushield_syslog|alcatel_syslog|extreme_syslog|tippingpoint_syslog|nokiasecurityplatform_syslog|whatsup_syslog|airdefense_syslog|stealthwatch_syslog|nagios_syslog|netcontinuum_syslog|cef_syslog|tlattackmitigator_ng_syslog|airmagnet_enterprise_syslog|manhunt_syslog|m40e_aspic_syslog|ironmail_syslog|ciscorouter_nonios_syslog|ingrian_syslog|nitrosecurity_syslog|junipernetscreenvpn_syslog|catos_syslog|ipolicy_syslog|symantecnetworksecurity_syslog|bigiron_syslog|type80_syslog|miragecounterpoint_syslog|newbury_syslog|packetalarm_syslog|cyberguard6_syslog|neowatcher_syslog|netkeeper_syslog|snare_syslog|ntsyslog_syslog|f5bigip_syslog|sms_syslog|ciscocss_syslog|barracuda_spamfw_syslog|radware_defensepro_syslog|barracuda_spamfw_ng_syslog|bluecoatsg_syslog|peakflowx_syslog|aruba_syslog|mcafeesig_syslog|stonegate_syslog|ciscosecureacs_syslog|tripwire_enterprise_7_7_syslog|tripwire_enterprise_syslog|datagram_iis_syslog|oracle_audit_syslog|sms7x_syslog|messagegate_syslog|cyberguard52_syslog|symantecendpointprotection_syslog|cisco_mse|junipernetscreenvpn_6x_syslog|netscreen_idp5_syslog|bsm_syslog|junipernetscreenvpn_keyvalue_syslog|citrix_syslog|linux_auditd_syslog|netappfiler_syslog|vmwareesx_syslog|ciscoise_monitoringaudit_syslog|aixaudit_syslog|ciscoairspace76_syslog|junos_sdsyslog|type80v3_syslog|vormetricdatasecurity_syslog|citrixnetscaler_syslog|tippingpoint_sms_2_5_syslog|tippingpoint_sms_audit_syslog|tippingpoint_device_audit_syslog|vmwareesx_4_1_syslog|infobloxnios_syslog|proofpoint_syslog|junos_syslog|cisco_nxos_syslog|ciscoise_syslog|hpprinter_syslog|hp_c7000_syslog|pulseconnectsecure_syslog|pulsepolicysecure_syslog|pulseconnectsecure_keyvalue_syslog|snare_syslog_heartbeat|ilo_syslog|ironport_websecurity_syslog|ironport_syslog|sidewinder_syslog|gauntlet_syslog|flexagent_syslog|sendmail_syslog|nsm_syslog|nsm2009_syslog|ciscosecureacs51_syslog|hph3c_syslog|hp_ux_syslog|checkpoint_syslog|hpprocurve_syslog|mcafee_webgateway_syslog|isamaudit|isamsystem|barracuda_ng_firewall_f|barracuda_ng_firewall_f_streaming|generic_syslog|ciscoairspace_syslog
agents[0].destination.count=2
agents[0].destination[0].agentid=3dcLFUGsBACCAA5+2Qubx6Q\=\=
agents[0].destination[0].failover.count=0
agents[0].destination[0].params=<?xml version\="1.0" encoding\="UTF-8"?>\n<ParameterValues>\n <Parameter Name\="host" Value\="ARCLG04.company.com"/>\n <Parameter Name\="port" Value\="443"/>\n <Parameter Name\="rcvrname" Value\="TestReciver"/>\n <Parameter Name\="compression" Value\="Disabled"/>\n <Parameter Name\="cefver" Value\="0.1"/>\n</ParameterValues>\n
agents[0].destination[0].type=loggersecure
agents[0].destination[1].agentid=3eV3pUGsBABCTx0KM56Tf0A\=\=
agents[0].destination[1].failover.count=0
agents[0].destination[1].params=<?xml version\="1.0" encoding\="UTF-8"?>\n<ParameterValues>\n <Parameter Name\="host" Value\="ArcESM"/>\n <Parameter Name\="port" Value\="8443"/>\n <Parameter Name\="aupmaster" Value\="false"/>\n <Parameter Name\="filterevents" Value\="false"/>\n <Parameter Name\="fipsciphers" Value\="fipsDefault"/>\n</ParameterValues>\n
agents[0].destination[1].type=http
agents[0].deviceconnectionalertinterval=60000
agents[0].enabled=true
agents[0].entityid=gMXFUGsBABCABJ+2Qubx6Q\=\=
agents[0].fcp.version=0
agents[0].filequeuemaxfilecount=100
agents[0].filequeuemaxfilesize=10000000
agents[0].forwarder=false
agents[0].forwardmode=false
agents[0].id=3dcLFUGsBABCAA5+2Qubx6Q\=\=
agents[0].ipaddress=(ALL)
agents[0].overwriterawevent=false
agents[0].persistenceinterval=0
agents[0].port=9514
agents[0].protocol=UDP
agents[0].rawloginterval=-1
agents[0].rawlogmaxsize=-1
agents[0].syslog.subagent.parsers=
agents[0].tcpbindretrytime=5000
agents[0].tcpbuffersize=10240
agents[0].tcpcleanupdelay=-1
agents[0].tcpmaxbuffersize=1048576
agents[0].tcpmaxidletime=-1
agents[0].tcpmaxsockets=1000
agents[0].type=syslog
agents[0].unparsedevents.log.enabled=false
agents[0].usecustomsubagentlist=false
agents[0].usefilequeue=true
loggersecure.transport.ssl.certs.checked=Tue Jan 23 15\:27\:26 AST 2018
nt_collector.use.device.browser=true
remote.management.enabled=true
remote.management.listener.port=9004
remote.management.ssl.organizational.unit=FDyxTlUBACCAAsUJ3beDvw
snmp.fields=event.deviceReceiptTime,event.endTime,event.deviceVendor,event.deviceProduct,event.deviceVersion,event.deviceEventClassId,event.name,event.deviceSeverity,event.deviceEventCategory,event.deviceCustomNumber1,event.deviceCustomNumber1Label,event.deviceCustomString1,event.deviceCustomString1Label,event.deviceCustomString2,event.deviceCustomString2Label,event.deviceCustomString3,event.deviceCustomString3Label,event.deviceCustomString4,event.deviceCustomString4Label,event.deviceCustomString5,event.deviceCustomString5Label,event.deviceCustomString6,event.deviceCustomString6Label,event.destinationAddress,event.deviceAddress
snmp.ignore.pdu.size.limit=true
snmp.mib.version=5.0
transport.types=http,loggersecure,loggersecurepool,cefsyslog,encryptedcefsyslog,cefkafka

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

CS1.png

Hi,

above is the connector status for your kind information. 

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Miran,

You have to Preserve Raw Event for Logger destination, you have to do that into the runtime parameter in using ArcMC or in using command-line.

Now it is very strange that you don't see raw events because if the parser is not correct, it should not impact logs collection for the raw.

Could you please launch a tcpdump but not in ArcMC, directly on the host where the connector is installed on port 9514?

I want to be sure that you receive something. You can launch this command:

tcpdump -i (interface name) port 9514 -XX

Could you please send us just an extract or a screenshot of one event you can see with the full header?

I have also seen another issue in the agent.properties, I don't see the name of your flex parser.
And the last point is which connector did you choose for the list Syslog Daemon or another one because I don't understand why I can see snmp parameters into the agent.properties? Did you add them?

Thanks
Kind regards

Michael

Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
I have forget to add that normallly, you have to use agents[0].usecustomsubagentlist=true and add the name of your REGEX parser into agents[0].customsubagentlist except if you will receive other logs type with this syslog connecor.

Thanks
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi  Michael,

I already enabled the Preserve Raw Event, but i think the issue on the agent installation. here i catch below ERROR   

[ERROR][default.com.arcsight.agent.configtool.h$a][correctFile] Cannot write to [/opt/local/monit/watchdog/appliance-connectors.monitrc]

I did TCPdump on the ArcMc i have installed  Flex connector on the ArcMc. I did TCP dump i can see packets syslog and audit messages please find below.

Capture.PNG

For the flex connector type, i have created it from below i choose Syslog daemon type

Capture2.PNG

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi  Michael,

I only found agents[0].syslog.subagent.parsers=       with blank, should i add the parser name here ?  

Regards,

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Miran,

Now, we are sure that the connector receive logs in syslog format.
You need to enable Preserve Raw Event for Loggers to be sure that you receive those events.

To do that, in ArcMC, you have to go there:

Node Management => View All Nodes => Localhost => Container X => Connector => choose Logger Destination and click on Edit runtime parameters => Default => Processing: Preserve Raw Event: YES

You can also verify on the same web page that Filter Out is empty.

Then, you have to connect on Logger and check a field set where there is rawEvent field, customize one if you don't find. Do you see events?

Are you sure that the port from ArcMC to Loggers are open TCP 443? Could you please check with telnet

If it is OK, we will work on the parser.

You have to replace this line by this (make a backup of the default line into another text file just by security)

in replacing <...> by the correct value.

agent[0].customagentlist=flexagent_syslog|<name of your parser before the first point>

And enable this setting like this

agent[0].usecustomsubagentagentlist=true

I will check for your error but could you please inform me about the status after having done the above recommendations.

Thanks
Kind Regards

Michael

Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Node Management => View All Nodes => Localhost => Container X => Connector => choose Logger Destination and click on Edit run time parameters => Default => Processing: Preserve Raw Event: YES

Already enabled

You can also verify on the same web page that Filter Out is empty.

Yest it is empty

Then, you have to connect on Logger and check a field set where there is rawEvent field, customize one if you don't find. Do you see events?

No, still no events. nothing except the following Connector status event "Connector Raw Event Statistics" all 82 events is same.

Capture.PNG

Are you sure that the port from ArcMC to Loggers are open TCP 443? Could you please check with telnet

Yes.

If it is OK, we will work on the parser.

You have to replace this line by this (make a backup of the default line into another text file just by security)

in replacing <...> by the correct value.

agent[0].customagentlist=flexagent_syslog|<name of your parser before the first point>

And enable this setting like this

agent[0].usecustomsubagentagentlist=true

On the agent.properties there is no agent[0].customagentlist=  should i add it manually or ?

[

#ArcSight Properties File
#Format Preserving Encryption Enabled Flag should NOT be manually edited!
#Mon Jun 17 11:37:40 AST 2019
action.execute.shell.command.enabled=false
agents.maxAgents=1
agents[0].aggregationcachesize=1000
agents[0].customsubagentlist=ciscopix_syslog|netscreen_syslog|cyberguard_syslog|niksun_syslog|sourcefire_syslog|intrushield_syslog|ciscovpnios_syslog|sonicwall_syslog|apache_syslog|netscreen_idp_syslog|ciscovpnnoios_syslog|attackmitigator_syslog|rsaace_syslog|ciscoaironet_syslog|ciscoworks_syslog|ciscorouter_syslog|nortelvpn_syslog|pf_syslog|coreguard_syslog|watchguard_syslog|fortigate_syslog|peakflow_syslog|honeyd_syslog|neoteris_syslog|prosafe_syslog|trushield_syslog|alcatel_syslog|extreme_syslog|tippingpoint_syslog|nokiasecurityplatform_syslog|whatsup_syslog|airdefense_syslog|stealthwatch_syslog|nagios_syslog|netcontinuum_syslog|cef_syslog|tlattackmitigator_ng_syslog|airmagnet_enterprise_syslog|manhunt_syslog|m40e_aspic_syslog|ironmail_syslog|ciscorouter_nonios_syslog|ingrian_syslog|nitrosecurity_syslog|junipernetscreenvpn_syslog|catos_syslog|ipolicy_syslog|symantecnetworksecurity_syslog|bigiron_syslog|type80_syslog|miragecounterpoint_syslog|newbury_syslog|packetalarm_syslog|cyberguard6_syslog|neowatcher_syslog|netkeeper_syslog|snare_syslog|ntsyslog_syslog|f5bigip_syslog|sms_syslog|ciscocss_syslog|barracuda_spamfw_syslog|radware_defensepro_syslog|barracuda_spamfw_ng_syslog|bluecoatsg_syslog|peakflowx_syslog|aruba_syslog|mcafeesig_syslog|stonegate_syslog|ciscosecureacs_syslog|tripwire_enterprise_7_7_syslog|tripwire_enterprise_syslog|datagram_iis_syslog|oracle_audit_syslog|sms7x_syslog|messagegate_syslog|cyberguard52_syslog|symantecendpointprotection_syslog|cisco_mse|junipernetscreenvpn_6x_syslog|netscreen_idp5_syslog|bsm_syslog|junipernetscreenvpn_keyvalue_syslog|citrix_syslog|linux_auditd_syslog|netappfiler_syslog|vmwareesx_syslog|ciscoise_monitoringaudit_syslog|aixaudit_syslog|ciscoairspace76_syslog|junos_sdsyslog|type80v3_syslog|vormetricdatasecurity_syslog|citrixnetscaler_syslog|tippingpoint_sms_2_5_syslog|tippingpoint_sms_audit_syslog|tippingpoint_device_audit_syslog|vmwareesx_4_1_syslog|infobloxnios_syslog|proofpoint_syslog|junos_syslog|cisco_nxos_syslog|ciscoise_syslog|hpprinter_syslog|hp_c7000_syslog|pulseconnectsecure_syslog|pulsepolicysecure_syslog|pulseconnectsecure_keyvalue_syslog|snare_syslog_heartbeat|ilo_syslog|ironport_websecurity_syslog|ironport_syslog|sidewinder_syslog|gauntlet_syslog|flexagent_syslog|sendmail_syslog|nsm_syslog|nsm2009_syslog|ciscosecureacs51_syslog|hph3c_syslog|hp_ux_syslog|checkpoint_syslog|hpprocurve_syslog|mcafee_webgateway_syslog|isamaudit|isamsystem|barracuda_ng_firewall_f|barracuda_ng_firewall_f_streaming|generic_syslog|ciscoairspace_syslog
agents[0].destination.count=1
agents[0].destination[0].agentid=3wLCVZGsBABCAAoohIjOU5g\=\=
agents[0].destination[0].failover.count=0
agents[0].destination[0].params=<?xml version\="1.0" encoding\="UTF-8"?>\n<ParameterValues>\n <Parameter Name\="cefver" Value\="0.1"/>\n <Parameter Name\="port" Value\="443"/>\n <Parameter Name\="host" Value\="Logger.Company.com"/>\n <Parameter Name\="rcvrname" Value\="TestReciver"/>\n <Parameter Name\="compression" Value\="Disabled"/>\n</ParameterValues>\n
agents[0].destination[0].type=loggersecure
agents[0].deviceconnectionalertinterval=60000
agents[0].enabled=true
agents[0].entityid=srOVZGsBABCAA4ohIjOU5g\=\=
agents[0].fcp.version=0
agents[0].filequeuemaxfilecount=100
agents[0].filequeuemaxfilesize=10000000
agents[0].forwarder=false
agents[0].forwardmode=false
agents[0].id=3wLCVZGsBABCAAoohIjOU5g\=\=
agents[0].ipaddress=(ALL)
agents[0].overwriterawevent=false
agents[0].persistenceinterval=0
agents[0].port=9514
agents[0].protocol=UDP
agents[0].rawloginterval=-1
agents[0].rawlogmaxsize=-1
agents[0].syslog.subagent.parsers=
agents[0].tcpbindretrytime=5000
agents[0].tcpbuffersize=10240
agents[0].tcpcleanupdelay=-1
agents[0].tcpmaxbuffersize=1048576
agents[0].tcpmaxidletime=-1
agents[0].tcpmaxsockets=1000
agents[0].type=syslog
agents[0].unparsedevents.log.enabled=true
agents[0].usecustomsubagentlist=true
agents[0].usefilequeue=true
nt_collector.use.device.browser=true
remote.management.enabled=true
remote.management.listener.port=9003
remote.management.ssl.organizational.unit=YTaxTlUBABCAAWQrGSuY0A
snmp.fields=event.deviceReceiptTime,event.endTime,event.deviceVendor,event.deviceProduct,event.deviceVersion,event.deviceEventClassId,event.name,event.deviceSeverity,event.deviceEventCategory,event.deviceCustomNumber1,event.deviceCustomNumber1Label,event.deviceCustomString1,event.deviceCustomString1Label,event.deviceCustomString2,event.deviceCustomString2Label,event.deviceCustomString3,event.deviceCustomString3Label,event.deviceCustomString4,event.deviceCustomString4Label,event.deviceCustomString5,event.deviceCustomString5Label,event.deviceCustomString6,event.deviceCustomString6Label,event.destinationAddress,event.deviceAddress
snmp.ignore.pdu.size.limit=true
snmp.mib.version=5.0
transport.types=http,loggersecure,loggersecurepool,cefsyslog,encryptedcefsyslog,cefkafka

]

I will check for your error but could you please inform me about the status after having done the above recommendations.

Still there is no any events 😞 

thank you. 

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Miran,

It is exactly that, you have to replace the default settings in agent.properties in replacing the long string separated by | with the value I have sent to you.

It is exactly what the yakupisler has told you.

Contact me if it is not enough clear or if you have still issue.

Thanks
Regards

Michael

Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Miran,

Could you please use another search in Logger to be sure that it is not a deviceGroup config error?

deviceVendor!=ArcSight AND agentAddress=<ArcMC_IP>

If there is still no events in Loggers after having restarted the connector, we need to read the agent.log, I am sure there are errors that explains what is wrong.

Did you copy the parser properties file into the ArcMC because without that the parsing won't work?

Could you please give me a status and if no logs could you please send me an extract of the agent.log and agent.out.wrapper.log (if exist) files?

Thanks
Regards

Michael

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.