Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Geo Country Name showing wrong country

Greetings Protect People,

I have created a rule which triggers if someone connects VPN from other country than Mongolia.

But it seems the IP and country table of Arcsight hasn't updated for some time, and showing me incorrect Geo Country Name. Notification showing me VPN client has connected from United States, and I checked the Public Ip address by using domaintools whois, and it shows that IP belongs to Mongolia.

Did anyone face this issue?
How can I update the Geo and IP address info?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mendsaikhan ,

Those information get through connector dns. I guess your DNS server provide wrong information to connector.

Cheers

Gayan

Mr
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi ,

Thanks for answering.
Could you please give some more details about this?
How does it resolve IP address to Country name?

Does it differ on each connector by using Default --> Content Configuration?

Kind Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Actually the information is not derived from a DNS lookup but rather from a GeoIP lookup based on a MaxMind database. The MaxMind database is updated as part of the content subscription: if you are subscribed you can download the content update to get the latest version.

Some caveats and tips:

• Express 4 and older:
    • I believe the update does not support express 4 and older. If you are on Express 4, it is time to upgrade to 6.9.1 anyway.
    • You could use the process outlined here to update yourself an Express 4 using a database from the MaxMind web site. I think you will need to use the MaxMind legacy database as outlined a few responses later.
  • ESM or later version Express:
    • If you don't have content subscription, you can still update directly from MaxMind using the new format of the database. I didn't check if the instructions for applying the files are the same.
  • Both:
    • ArcSight ships the free version of MaxMind. You can buy the commercial version and use the same instructions to update ESM or Express (using the right version - legacy or new) to get more accurate results.

~ Ofer

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Ofer,

What about the  which i can see HPE SW ARST Context Entitlement September 2016 in my download section on the HPE website. Wouldn't the update of context update solve this issue ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

If the current context update doesn't solve the issue then please open  support ticket and provide the problem IP address(es)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, if you have the right versions of ESM or Express as mentioned above.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thank you for your answers,

I will update as you suggested, it's been very informational for me.

Kind Regards.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.