Highlighted
zargaran Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

How can i HASH or encrypt a field value in ArcSight Flex Connector?

Dear All

I have a syslog parser with very important information like PIN and PAN Credit card Number. is there anybody have an experience for change clear integer number in a field to encrypted value with unique formulla ?

for example i have a Credit card number that i dont want to pars excact integer card number for indexing in ArcSight ESM.

BR 

Amir

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How can i HASH or encrypt a field value in ArcSight Flex Connector?

To ensure that the data cannot be reversed if for example a key is leaked, it should be done using one way hashes, that means you can still provide usercases and monitoring, without knowing the original value, and ensuring they cannot be reversed through the means of using your leaked key. This does not taking things like hash collisions into consideration, or rainbow tables.

I am unaware of anything like this built into the connector, and i double checked the available Operations in the flexconnector dev guide to find a operation to create hashes (at least md5), though nothing was found.

If you do not need these fields at all, so hashing is not needed, then you just replace the data with nothing, or with "****" and problem solved 🙂

Maybe someone else have a good idea?

Too be honest, from a compliancy point of view, this data should be hashed BEFORE they are sent to the connector, so by the application itself, and if the data is not needed, should not be included in the logging either.

ArcSight does offer encryption using SecureData, which is configured during the installation of the connector under global parameters called "Format Preserving Encryption", though i do not have any experience with that product, so i would not be able to provide more information on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
zargaran Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: How can i HASH or encrypt a field value in ArcSight Flex Connector?

Thanks @Marius2 for response

According to your openion, i think there is no way to change the field value from decimal to HEX.

the "__toHex" operation can doing this job.

do you agree?

BR

Amir

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.