Highlighted
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do you get X11 working on a manager?

I cannot use any of the GUI tools that come with arcsight (keytoolGUI, any of the setup utilities, etc.) because of X11 not working. I think it is an issue with the sshd_config file missing this line (X11UseLocalhost no), but wanted to verify this before opening a case with support. Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
AlexMuratov1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you get X11 working on a manager?

It is not related to the ESM Manager. Could you provide more details?

0 Likes
balahasan.v1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Gerald,

R u trying it in Manager linux base machine--> Install missing packages or R u trying to take ssh--> then u have X11 Configuration stuff. U need to enable them

0 Likes
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have a system that I have never used X11 on before, and want to get it working over SSH. But I couldn't see anything in the documentation on how to do this. I searched google and looks like I need to change the sshd_config file, but I wanted to verify if this holds true for arcsight before I open up a case with support. Balahasan has shown below how to enable X11 forwarding with putty, but now I need assistance enabling X11 on the manager. Thanks!

0 Likes
rm2743 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gerald,

Make sure you have the required X11 packages installed on the host.  Are you logging in as the user that you are trying to start the application as?  Try a simple X11 application like xclock and post back the errors you see, this will help us help you.

-Rick

0 Likes
gfuchs1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here is the error that I receive:

[arcsight@[name]~]$ cd /opt/arcsight/manager/bin/

[arcsight@[name]bin]$ ./arcsight keytoolgui

Assuming ARCSIGHT_HOME: /opt/arcsight/manager

Assuming JAVA_HOME: /opt/arcsight/manager/jre

ArcSight Keytool GUI starting...

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException:

No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:159)

at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:432)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:403)

at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:368)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:158)

at info.waynegrant.utilities.keytoolgui.FKeyToolGUI.<init>(Unknown Source)

at info.waynegrant.utilities.keytoolgui.FKeyToolGUI$CreateAndShowGui.run(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:641)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(EventQueue.java:84)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:602)

at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(EventQueue.java:600)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:611)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
michael.selph Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I know this isn't an answer to the question, but as a work around until you get X11 working, try using the non gui key tool. Try /opt/arcsight/manger/bin/arcsight keytool -store managerkeys -help which should list options for the CLI keytool. If you need to run manager setup, try with the -i console option, which should launch the wizard in CLI mode.

0 Likes
kreed7 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you have a X server installed locally like XMing, Xsecure, and Reflections?

Additionally, do you sudo between users? If so, depend on how you authenticate back and forth, you have to carry over your X auth settings.

xauth list to get your tokens

Then sudo

then xauth add token for each token.

0 Likes
rm2743 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gerald,

The error message indicates No X11 DISPLAY variable was set,  There are a couple of reasons this can happen.  Typically this means that you do not have X11 forwarding turned on in putty (or whatever ssh client you are using), see Balahasan's reply above.  Another possibility is that the X11 packages on the server are not installed.

Post back with any issues after you ensure the X11 software is installed on your machine and you set your ssh client to forward the X11 sessions.

-Rick

0 Likes
marcelocortez1 Contributor.
Contributor.

Gerald,

if you're using RHEL or CentOS you can do this to install the X11 graphics as a root:

#yum groupinstall "X Windows System"

hope it helps

0 Likes
slevy1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This error is not an ESM error. "No X11 DISPLAY variable was set,"
It means exactly what it says.

You need to set your DISPLAY variable ( where are you sending the X11 output)

# DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0 <- Use the ip off the machine you want the display to be sent.
     In most cases this is the Windows machine you are using in order to ssh over to your ESM.

# EXPORT DISPLAY;
# echo $DISPLAY <-- should have your windows machines IP that IS RUNNING an X-win program like x-ming.
otherwise there is nobody to receive the display output.

The X-ming documentation explains it very well. Good luck.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. nilkanthp Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

how did you resloved this issue i am facing the same
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.