Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to Connect Logger to Manager

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a logger to forward events to the ESM manager and I'm getting stuck. The documentation says to use keytoolgui on the manager to export the certificate, on to the logger only when I open the keystore on the manager there's nothing in it. We're using demo certificates, don't know if this makes any difference.

Also, where it asks for the Connector Name for the ESM destination What is this referring to? Do I have to install a connector on the manager first? If I've just missed the part of the documentation that explains this, then please point me in the right direction! I've looked and can't seem to find anything useful

Thanks

Robin

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Admiral
Admiral

You must open the keystore on the manager, export the certificate and import it on the logger

Keytoolgui --> open keystore --> select /jre/lib/security/cacerts and provide your password.  Then you get the list of certif and you must export it according to the doc.

The whole procedure is described in the logger doc and/or in ESM doc

HTH

GCA

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

you should see all certificates when opening the keystore.  The demo key is not a problem.  Try again according to the doc I never had any problem with that part

then import the certificate in the logger and configure "ESM Destination"

connector name : whatever you want, that's the name you will see in the connectors tab in ESM and you can change it later

manager name : don't use IP address but the hostname ( I guess the hostname must map the name on the certificate )  and don't forget to add the hostname in the hosts file on the logger

create the forwarder with default values ( cef:0 )

Don't forget to start the forwarder ( it's deactivated by default but the icon is confusing )

That's it, no need to install anything on the ESM.

A few more tips.  Always check that there is no connector with the same name on ESM or it won't work and the error messages are quite poor.  If you experience errors like list of certificates not being displayed on the logger, ... a reboot should solve your problem.

The whole process is not difficult but there are a few bugs and tricks which are not documented.

HTH

GCA

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks GCA,

Thats much clearer now, the issue must be that I didn't have the certificate imported into the logger.  I'm at a loss as to why there is no certificate in the truststore though. I'm wondering if I should generate a new one. The truststore opens but 0 entries at the bottom of the box. I've looked at the production manager and it also has no entries despite the logger having a valid certificate. I'm looking in /Manager/config/jetty/ is that the correct location?

Regards

Robin

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

You must open the keystore on the manager, export the certificate and import it on the logger

Keytoolgui --> open keystore --> select /jre/lib/security/cacerts and provide your password.  Then you get the list of certif and you must export it according to the doc.

The whole procedure is described in the logger doc and/or in ESM doc

HTH

GCA

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for that,

The problem was I was looking in the wrong place for the cert. I thought I'd read the manager cert was not in the usual cacerts file but that's not correct it is in the cacerts file. All working now, thanks for help

Robin

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was following the instructions and was still unable to get the certificate loaded onto the Logger. Turns out that unlike the ESM, Console, Connectors, etc. the Logger doesn't like periods in the alias. We use FQDNs for our certificates and the Logger won't accept that in the alias field.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.