Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a way to change a connector name after it has been created?

Jump to solution

I keep going to the modify connector parameters, but I can't see the option. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's because there is no option in connector parameters

The connector is named via the destination XML file/s that contains runtime parameters etc.

Find the appropriate file/s via the agent.properties (the destination names will be in there). I can't remember the full path off the top of my head but just do a recursive grep for *.xml files with your destination name in there, in a pinch.

You need to make its name match in all destination XML files. You can do this with a pretty easy sed one-liner, should take about .1 seconds to run

You'll need to manually change the name in ESM (change the destination XML files first, then right-click rename in ESM), but for ArcMC (and I assume conapp). It polls for the name based on the xml, and you'll see it update by itself.

This is the way I've done it before and it worked fine for my purposes, no guarantee on it working for you the same way(YRMV), but I guess the worst case scenario is that you have to delete and remake the connector anyway. Obviously there will  possibly be some somewhat 'dirty' events in your other components depending on the destinations as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's because there is no option in connector parameters

The connector is named via the destination XML file/s that contains runtime parameters etc.

Find the appropriate file/s via the agent.properties (the destination names will be in there). I can't remember the full path off the top of my head but just do a recursive grep for *.xml files with your destination name in there, in a pinch.

You need to make its name match in all destination XML files. You can do this with a pretty easy sed one-liner, should take about .1 seconds to run

You'll need to manually change the name in ESM (change the destination XML files first, then right-click rename in ESM), but for ArcMC (and I assume conapp). It polls for the name based on the xml, and you'll see it update by itself.

This is the way I've done it before and it worked fine for my purposes, no guarantee on it working for you the same way(YRMV), but I guess the worst case scenario is that you have to delete and remake the connector anyway. Obviously there will  possibly be some somewhat 'dirty' events in your other components depending on the destinations as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

if you need change name on console may use rename function.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey, as the guys have pointed out there are two ways to do this.

1) In the console, simply rename the connector to what ever you want. The issue there is that when you re-register the connector it will default back to the original name.

2) Change the connector name in the destination configuration file. The destination configuration files are found under /<connector home>/current/user/agent. The are in the form <resource id>.xml. Simply open the file and near the top you will see "Connector Name".

If you only wanted to do it for one destination, then you'll need to work out which destination is which. This can be done by having a look in agent.properties. Look at the destination parameters. You'll see an ID with the associated destination host. That ID will be the name of the destination configuration file that you need to modify (excluding .xml at the end).

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

As posted in another reply, you can modify the connector agent XML file.

Go to the <connector install directory>/current/user/agent directory, you should see one or more .xml files (the first part of the filename is the agent ID).

Edit the .xml file, you can change the name by altering the 'AgentName' property and also (if required) the location by altering the 'AgentLocation' property.

Re-run the agent setup:

<connector install directory>/current/bin/arcsight agentsetup

and re-register the agent - this will propogate any location/name change to the destination.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you guys

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Richard, I change two different xml files that were located in that area. I'm new to ArcSight and Linux and i've been adding and deleting connectors for training. After I changed the name, I deleted the connector on the console and then reregistered and the new name was there. Thanks for all the good feedback!!!!

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Should there also be more than one xml file? I have three in /current/user/agent

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Its perfectly normal to have more than one ... even if you only have one destination.

The connector will only ever use one per destination (that is the one associated in the agent.properties for the destination).

The others may be old destinations that were created and then deleted (perhaps a logger destination).

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank You Mark.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.