Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Lessons Learned: ConnApp to ArcMC Migration

Starting this thread to help out anyone who is looking at a ConnApp to ArcMC migration experience. Overall I found that if you paid attention o the documentation you'll find that the overall process is not difficult, and can be done relatively easily

Environment Background:

- Almost 100 CA deployed of various gens/sizes

- All remotely managed from a single CA

Issue 1:

- After migration there is no "node management" or "configuration management" tabs available only administration. Reason being was admin user was not set in the ArcMC permissions group, in fact, there was not ArcMC permissions group created, so I had to make it myself.

Issue 2:

- If the ConnApp you have migrated was used to manage other CA's, The ArcMC agent doesn't get installed automatically.

- To fix this you have use the host export/import feature, to bulk re-add all your managed hosts. Doing this one by one is extremely time consuming

Issue 3:

- Most likely a by-product of Issue 2, but all the previously imported hosts report as software connectors, no matter what they were previously ie C3500, C5500 etc

- This also shows because your managed devices won't be separated into the appropriate tabs ie "connector appliance", "ArcMC" etc

Issue 4:

- The import host processes almost always fails, but does add a majority of the hosts. So you will need to double check the import log vs whats is shown

- Also almost every single time I have seen the import hosts miss the last host in your import list

Issue 5:

- This has been a huge pain, but when using the import host feature, the host is added, but the containers belonging to that host are NOT imported

- To fix you need to manually check every hosts, and if there are no containers present you will have to scan host to get the containers imported

Issue 6:

- The documentation on the import host procedure for making the csv is very unclear, but you need a special header line for the import to work

- The following line in quotes needs to be the first line of your csv "location,hostname,type,host username,host password,connector username,connector password,port/port range"

Issue 7:

- This is still relatively unclear to me, but though the ArcMC will still work with a ConnApp license, it has been recommend that you also migrate the license to an ArcMC license

- Support knows little about this, but the Licensing team can do this for you, you will need to provide SAID, list of migrated appliances and their serial numbers for them to migrate the license from a CA license to an ArcMC license

Issue 8:

- When scanning hosts to add containers, I have had a couple times where the container would not be associated with the correct port. For example Container 5 was associated with Port 9008

- The fix for this was to go directly to the managed host > send container command > regenerate remote mgmt key par > let it restart > click container to re-download the new keys. After that go back to your managing ArcMC, delete the host and re-add it. This solved the problem for me

- UPDATE: The above fix worked well when my managed host was a ConnApp, but it broke all my containers when it was an ArcMC. I was unable to re-download the new keys after I went through the steps. I have had to do an emergency restore to get this working again.

UPDATE 1:

Issue 9:

When taking a config backup of your old ConnApp make sure its less than 400mb, if its slightly larger there is a work around to allow a larger upload limit by going to <ArcSight_Home>/config/logger/logger.defaults.properties and edit the connectorappliance.restore.max.megabytes= 400 property. The biggest causes of a large config backup size is going to be cache in your connectors, so try and make sure your connectors don't have any caches in them or else your back up can be several gb in size.

This is all I have for now, I will update this thread if I see anything new. I hope this helps anyone else looking to doing a CA to ArcMC migration in the future.

Labels (5)
13 Replies
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Great post.  I will echo that I saw most of these issues when I upgraded.  This should help a lot of folks.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Yup same issues.

Issue 1 is a known issue:

ARCMC-1304649474505ArcMC default admin user displays 5 groups although only 2 exist

For issue 7, one good reason to migrate the license is that it gives you SSH access to the box without the challenge/response code. Just remember to change the password from the default as soon as you do it.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you detail the process on how to change the default root pwd for the greater audience.

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

Issue 6:

- The documentation on the import host procedure for making the csv is very unclear, but you need a special header line for the import to work

- The following line in quotes needs to be the first line of your csv "location,hostname,type,host username,host password,connector username,connector password,port/port range"

Another way to generate a template for this is to export the file before trying to import anything.  This will give you a copy of the original and a nice template to start with.

Ensign
Ensign

Issue 7:

- This is still relatively unclear to me, but though the ArcMC will still work with a ConnApp license, it has been recommend that you also migrate the license to an ArcMC license

- Support knows little about this, but the Licensing team can do this for you, you will need to provide SAID, list of migrated appliances and their serial numbers for them to migrate the license from a CA license to an ArcMC license

The reason an upgrade/conversion to an ArcMc license is needed is to allow you to manage anything other than Connectors.  The upgraded license will allow you to manage Loggers, ConApps, and ArcMcs.  This will actually resolve Issue 3. 

Issue 3:

- Most likely a by-product of Issue 2, but all the previously imported hosts report as software connectors, no matter what they were previously ie C3500, C5500 etc

- This also shows because your managed devices won't be separated into the appropriate tabs ie "connector appliance", "ArcMC" etc

You will be able to manage most of the System Admin settings on Logger, ConApp, and ArcMc as well as some other items. 

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good info, but in my particular case I wanted to only "migrate" the license. You are correct that you would need to "upgrade" the license to do the advanced ArcMC features. I did find though that even after "migrating" the license, I still had the same problems described in "Issue 3", the resolution was still to remove/re-add host at least in my environment.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi,

we have learned that by migrating a connapp license to ArcMC you loose the ability to manage connectors (let alone anything else) - at least we did. It took intervention from our sales guy that to get the former abilities of our appliances back.

Joachim

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This was indeed an issue, but has been fixed since.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Well, this happened earlier this week...

Joachim

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The important date is when did you do the purchase and not when you retrieved the license. The solution involved slightly modified SKUs. I can look into it offline if you send me the details (ofr@hp.com).

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Thanks Ofer - right now things seem to be moving thanks to our sales guy. If we hit a roadblock again I might send you a mail!

Joachim

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.