Highlighted
fjdoming Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Log rotation - the wincagent.log file (winc smartconnector)

Jump to solution

How could I configure the wincagent.log file rotation?

I've  observerd this file by default is configured to:

maximum size of the log file is 20 MB and maximum number of backup file is  50.

I don't know where i could configure these parameters.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Javi

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor.. TeaPot Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: Log rotation - the wincagent.log file (winc smartconnector)

Jump to solution

I stumbled across this while trying to hunt down some irratic behavior of winc-agent.exe 

The winc-agent.exe process uses log4j to write out the log file, and that has its own config file.  You can find it in 
$ARCSIGHT_HOME\current\bin\agent\winc\win64\winc-agent.exe.config

You are looking for the lines 

<maxSizeRollBackups value="50"/>
<maximumFileSize value="20MB"/>

A gig of logs by default is absurd to me so I scaled those back to 10 and 10MB respectively. 

5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

All log rotation should normally be handled with your .properties files in ARCSIGHTHOME/current/user/agent.

As an example, agent.wrapper.properties all have configuration on max file size, how many to keep, where to log etc, and in your case i am guessing it would be in agent.properties.

If you are unsure which configuration you need to add in your agent.properties file, you should look at the agent.default.properties, and copy the configuration you want over to agent.properties.

Let me know if you can't find anything and i will look at my own properties files to see if i can find it? 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

The agent.default.properties file has the log rotation configuration for agent.log , I don't find information about wincagent.log file rotation.

Thanks for you answer @Marius2

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

I stumbled across this while trying to hunt down some irratic behavior of winc-agent.exe 

The winc-agent.exe process uses log4j to write out the log file, and that has its own config file.  You can find it in 
$ARCSIGHT_HOME\current\bin\agent\winc\win64\winc-agent.exe.config

You are looking for the lines 

<maxSizeRollBackups value="50"/>
<maximumFileSize value="20MB"/>

A gig of logs by default is absurd to me so I scaled those back to 10 and 10MB respectively. 

Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you very much @TeaPot

It works fine !!!

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

You are welcome. 

One downside of changing this file that I noticed today, is that the file appears to be overwritten with default settings when you do a connector upgrade 😕 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.