Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Logger FAN failure

Jump to solution

Hi experts,

scenario: we have a Logger L7500 running with a FAN failed.

The support are sending us a new appliance to replace the failed one.

We want to migrate all data and configuration to the new logger and support suggest us to swap the disks from the failed appliance to RMA appliance.

The support do not have a guide to follow for this operations, anyone have a guide or suggestion to do this?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Replacement of the new appliance done sussesfully swapping the disks.

Thanks to all,

Guido

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

There will be details in Logger Admin Guide, but the best way to get those details is to ask support. they are the right persons for this scenario

Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

The support say that there are not documentation about this.

Logger admin guide? what page?

Ciao,

Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Can you see if this helps you

Raj
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Rajkumar,

I had already seen this document but my doubts are:

1) The document says that this feature is only for L3200, L5100, L7100, L7200; We have a L7500 appliance.

2) Support says:
'
Ideally it should work as the disks are hot swappble.

assumptions:
1. All drives in the RAID are working OK
2. Failed RMA unit and unit working on the same version Logger.
3. Logger configuration backups done regularily and applied to the RMA unit.
4. Failed Logger and Logger RMA running on the same hardware platform.

I hope this clarifies the issue.
'

The document do not says to apply the configuration backup on the new appliance.

By,

Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hi,

The only thing that you need is to swap the disks as the guide states (it may be not updated for your model but there are no differences in the logic).

The only thing that I need to do after is to apply the new license and maybe it may be possible to remove the 70-persistent-net.rules from /etc/udev/rules.d so that the network interface naming restore to the original one.

In general you don't need to migrate any data or restore configuration backup. Of course it is highly recommended to have configuration backup in general

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I see you have already been forced to RMA the device by support.  We have had the same done in the past.

I find it unacceptable that HPE does not facilitate a replacement of this Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) instead of insisting on an RMA.  A fan takes about 30 seconds to replace yet support forces hours (in our case) of work to facilitate it replacement.  Yes, for other items (eg: motherboard) the RMA is the easier process.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Support update:

1. All disk in the RAID are working OK - which they are because this a FAN failure ONLY, please swap out the disks in the array, in the very exact order and replace them on the replacement unit.

2. Failed unit and RMA unit working on the same Logger version. The replacement logger will be on logger 6.2 Patch1.

3. Do ensure you have a current configuration backup which will be applied on the replacement.

Please refer to the Logger Best Practises Guide - https://www.protect724.hpe.com/docs/DOC-14385 on the section on Configuration Backup and Restore & Event Archives.

In addition: - For information on Configuration Backups, see "Configuration Backup and Restore" on page 408 - Logger Administration Guide.

Combine daily scheduled event archiving with daily scheduled configuration backups. Without a daily configuration backup, event archives from the previous day will not be usable in the event of total data loss.

I can pre-sume you are already performing the above, if not then follow the guides above.

4. Failed Logger and RMA Logger running on the same HW platform.

I can confirm the same model will replace the failed unit.

In addition a new license should come with the appliance, if not it should be downloaded from the Software Support portal -HPE Software License and Download portal (aka SE portal) https://h20576.www2.hpe.com/mysoftware/index

The support continues to speak about the need to load the backup configuration...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Replacement of the new appliance done sussesfully swapping the disks.

Thanks to all,

Guido

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

There is no need to restore the configuration backup.

Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Hi all,

we had the same problem with a fan and we received the new appliance. 

We replaced the disks in the same order and the new appliance seems to start properly, until the bringing up of NICs that fails.
We cannot access to appliance via ILO or via Console with our old credentials and we don't know if the cause is the new license that we cannot upload due to the NICs...
It seems a loop..

Have anyone a suggestion for us?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

If using the same disk, the data will be the same, the password would not be dfferent.
See above comment thread - it is likely you will need to remove this file -> "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" (assuming RHEL 7.x OS)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.