UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Logger model L7600

Hi, I should install my new Logger model L7600, to replace the L7500s. What version of software logger can I install on the new model? Can you show me the correct guide?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Suggest you look at the Support Matrix, this will show you the software versions and upgrade paths.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hello PeSeKa.

You didn't gave us enough details.

You specify appliances. If the L7600 will be sent by MicroFocus (ArcSight), you will receive it with the Logger already installed. All you can do is to migrate the data, therefore you will have to upgrade one of the Loggers to the correct version needed for migration - check the migration documents on https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Logger/tkb-p/logger

There might be another solution (depending on your case), only to restore the configuration backup on the new Logger. 

I am not sure what you mean by L7500s - is it a plural, more appliances, or is it the model, a SAN capable appliance?

Let me know if I understood right your request.

[LE] On the other hand your question may be simply "What Logger version should I  run on my new appliance?".

There are advantages and disadvantages with all the Logger versions. My suggestion is to move to Logger 6.6.0 (the latest available), if possible.

[/LE]

All the best,

Adrian Smeria

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I have to replace the logger I have with the new one provided by HP (which I do not think already has the installed logger software, but I think it's a virgin) that I think must be configured from scratch and installed the logger software. Also I have to backup the old logger and import everything into the new one. L7500s is the model name.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

The appliances have the Logger software installed by default, you can only upgrade it or reverse to factory defaults. Of course, the manual initial set up is required, but you do not install the Logger by yourself. So you already have the Logger software installed, you "only" have to set it up initially.

On the "what if" side of discussion: you can install the OS and the Logger software by yourself on the server designed to be an appliance, but in this case you no longer have the support for an appliance, you have it just for a Logger software. This means as well that you will need a new Logger license. I have no idea what are the license prices, I have high doubts that there is anyone willing to throw away the appliance license, so this part with "you can install the OS by yourself and do whatever you like with the hardware provided to you" sounds like a serious money waste for me, you would be much better by buying only the hardware if you don't want the appliance stuff. Don't misuse the appliance, you are paying for it to be run as an appliance.
Back to the replace subject: as I said, either use event archives and configuration backup to "restore" the old logger on the new logger, either migrate the data from the old (source) logger to the new (destination) logger.

In both cases you need to respect the prerequisites either for migration, either for applying the configuration backup and this means in the huge majority of cases that you want to use the same Logger version when you migrate or restore the configuration. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.