UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Logger reboot

Hi,

Our logger re-started indexing yesterday morning which usually happens after reboot of the logger.

Which events exactly do I have to search for to make clear what really happened ?

We run the Logger appliance v5.3.1.6838.0

Unfortunately, I can't simply look in the /var/log/messages to search for the boot messages.

Events in the storage group "Logger Internal Event Device [Var Log Messages]" do not help.

Only messages like

" ,

Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Is it a normal behaviour for the Logger that after reboot the indexing begins from null ?

For instance, after the reboot in Sunday, the menu "Summary > Global Summary" looks like

There are 2,077,626 events indexed from 2013/10/20 08:36:38:426 CEST to 2013/10/21 13:11:00:024 CEST

In fact, the events have been logged since months, without aging out.

Sth different is written in the documentation:

"

Specifically, the Summary page contains the following panels:

 Global Summary

The number of events indexed on your Logger during the time period displayed on the

screen. The time period is dependent on the retention policy of your Logger, where the

start and end times are the time of the oldest events stored on your Logger (that have

not aged out due to retention) and the current time, respectively."

Of course, I'm able to select events older than Oct 20.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The Release Notes for Logger 5.3 SP1 (page 15) describes this as a known issue.

"There is a known issue with the new Global Summary Persistence functionality in Logger 5.3 GA. This feature is designed to persist the statistics reported in the global summary section of Logger through a reboot. In some environments, disk space or server memory may be affected due to this feature. This release turns off the Global Summary Persistence functionality. As soon as possible, after upgrading to Logger 5.3 SP1, enter system maintenance mode and defragment the Global Summary table. Refer to the Logger 5.3 SP1 Administrator’s Guide for instructions".

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

For a regular reboot, the following event is logged:

This applies only to regularly initiated reboots. Which message should I search for if sbd simply turned off the power supply of the Logger ?

0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Aaron,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, after defragmentation of the Global Summary table and reboot of appliance, the problem still exists.

In the Global Summary, the indexing begins with the date/time of the reboot.

"There are 10,305 events indexed from 2013/10/21 14:23:54:516 CEST to 2013/10/21 14:30:26:462 CEST."

Millions of events logged before are not mentioned, although they are still kept in the logger.

Miloš

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Looking at the Logger Administrator Guide, Appendix C, Logger Audit Events, I don't know for sure if pulling the power cord would result in a

platform:282      7             /Appliance/State/Shutdown                Appliance poweroff initiated

But when it comes back up, I would expect to see

platform:408       5              /Appliance/State/Startup                   Appliance startup completed deviceCustomDate1: Startup Date

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.