Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Massive java.lang.IndexOutofBounds Errors with rules. Please help.

Jump to solution

Today I updated my ESM from 5.2 patch 2 to 5.5, and also Oracle instance to 11.0.2.3.

There were no errors during updating so far, all was extremely good. However, when i started manager and tried to edit some rules, error window appeared:

Could not create editor: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

This happens for almost half of my rules, and the result is that i can not edit them!

Please help, cause it's a critical problem for us.

See errorScreen.png for details.

vbcvbceerwe

Today I updated my ESM from 5.2 patch 2 to 5.5, and also Oracle instance to 11.0.2.3.

There were no errors during updating so far, all was extremely good. However, when i started manager and tried to edit some rules, error window appeared:

Could not create editor: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

This happens for almost half of my resources, and the result is that i can not edit them!

Please help, cause it's a critical problem for us.

26.07.png
26.07.png
S
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello again!
Fortunately, it was a Console bug.

I realized it when i tried the same thing on another host, and I was like o_0 seeing that I could create/modify any rule.

So, what I did in my case after that:

1) Uninstalled all other consoles (5.0, 5.2, 6.0 were already installed on my PC for testing purposes)

2) Reinstalled actual 5.5 Console

3) Rebooted PC

Now the bug is gone, I would like to thank all who participated.

Moderators can now close the topic.

HeH
H

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Try having the manager rebuild all the rules:

stop the manager

cd $MANAGER_HOME/

mv rules rules.`date +%m%d%y`

mkdir -p rules/{checkpoint,classes,Temp}

start the manager

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

wsladek,

thanks for the tip. I did as you advised, but that didn't help.

Still same issues. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello, guys!

I just realized: that happens only when i try to create/modify LightWeight or Pre-Persistence Rule.

All standart rules are clearly OK. I can create and modify them.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello again!
Fortunately, it was a Console bug.

I realized it when i tried the same thing on another host, and I was like o_0 seeing that I could create/modify any rule.

So, what I did in my case after that:

1) Uninstalled all other consoles (5.0, 5.2, 6.0 were already installed on my PC for testing purposes)

2) Reinstalled actual 5.5 Console

3) Rebooted PC

Now the bug is gone, I would like to thank all who participated.

Moderators can now close the topic.

HeH
H

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

to solve the issue remove the content in the directory ".arcsight" in the home directory of your user.

Kind Regards

Nikolei

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Is that for when you install the console on Linux?  In Windows it's a different location... I believe it's under %ARCSIGHT HOME%/Console/current, but I'm not sure which of the many files there would be good to delete...

The reinstall solution does not work for me... or I should say it only works temporarily.  The error keeps returning.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey, I already found an another solution.
Just delete the .ast file in Console\current directory and then restart the console. The issue will be gone.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

That worked even better!

Thanks.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

In my case, I'm having the same issue on lightweight rule (mostly) from the 6.5 Sp1 console. The console was installed on a Windows 7 machine, what I had found out is that if I close the console and go to the directory where the console is installed; in my case, C:\arcsight\console\current\, and delete or rename the file "username.ast" (where username is your login ID for the console, then restart the console again and java error will be gone. What seems to me that this file is caching the last session of the user. When this file is deleted, after you logon you will be presented with the default tabs opened instead of whatever you had previously left when the console is closed. Hope this help.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Haha, you beat me to it Nikolay!   I had found the same solution!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.