Highlighted
nmbabkin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Microsoft DNS Multiple Trace file never process log after rotation

Jump to solution

Hello, Community!

Is it said that SmartConnector 7.1.4 is supporting Windows Server 2012 R2 Debug DNS Logs. We have installed SmartConnector 7.1.4 x64 on a WIndows Server 2008 Machine and trying to grab DNS logs from Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controller using Microsoft DNS Multiple File (not legacy) connector.

When we first start the connector, it runs without any problem. However, when Windows rotates the dns.log (recreates log with the same "dns.log" name), connector completely stops processing the events. The only thing that can help in this situation is a complete connector restart.

We've tried different options:

1) followexternalrotation set to true and false

2) ussealternaterotationdetection - also true and false

Nothing from this options helped.

Your help would be appreciated.

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nmbabkin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Microsoft DNS Multiple Trace file never process log after rotation

Jump to solution

Guys,

I've just updated one of my DNS connectors and can confirm that the issue has been finally fixed in 7.1.7.7600.

We have 2012R2, however in the changelog only 2008 is mentioned (I don't know why really).

If you have any other issues please feel free to add more information to this thread.
Thanks.

0 Likes
23 Replies
Valued Contributor.. bncecu02 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution

There is a bug with this connector (QCCR CON-15790), which should be addressed in the next release or so. For now, we have a cron job to restart the Connector once a day, which seems to help.

0 Likes
reswob4 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Until the patch is released, could you use a possible alternative:  Try the 32bit version?  Or try an older version if you still have the install files?

I have a windows 2012 server with a 32bit Microsoft DNS Multiple File connector 7.1.4.7475 installed collecting from a different Windows DNS server and it's working fine. 

Just suggestions....

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. andrew.dalbor Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

I have the same issue Nikolay with exact same symptoms. 

Odd that yours works Craig.

We have tried both x86 and x64 versions of multiple versions of connectors with the same issue.

0 Likes
superman Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Permissions issue ?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

No its not permission issues.  The connector will process events for about 20-35 mins then stop.  A restart of the connector resumes functionality for another short time span but it never consistently and continually works.

0 Likes
nmbabkin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, and thanks for the answers.
We've tried different versions of connector (x86 and x64, and also 7.1.1 version).

bncecu02, why once a day? Our log rotates in 5-10 minutes, and then connector stops processing.

superman, it is not definitely a permissions problem, cause we have RW permissions to log directory.

Andrew, do you have DHCP service also on 2012 R2? Cause DHCP connector has the same issue as DNS.

Craig Bowser, you have 2012 or 2012 R2? Thats the very important thing.

Thank you guys.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

2012R2

0 Likes
yrral Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

ya, im having the same issue guys..

what might be helpful, if your in a bind, write the dns logs to the event log and pull them w/a WUC.

just a thought that might help.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

I don't THINK you can write the DNS Trace Logs to the event log, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

BTW, last resort may be to install the connector on the actual DNS server.  I know that may not be feasible or permitted, but just so the option is mentioned.

0 Likes
nmbabkin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello!
Unfortunately, installing connector on a DC is not allowed.
I've just created case in HP Support and will update the post as soon as I get the information.

0 Likes
Vini Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I have the very same problem. I had a similar problem with the IIS connector which was relying on a modified date of a file to read the next file but this was a different problem although the end result was similar.

I am not convinced that there is a specific bug in the connector that actually causes this, I have tested a flex connector and the problem is no different. If my memory is correct the same issue existed in an older version as well.

I will debug this connector later and will post the results, there is certainly something obscure going on here.

0 Likes
nmbabkin1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I wonder do you guys have the same problem with DHCP on 2012R2?
Cause I do.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. zonki Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

I am also facing this issue.  Has there been any further developments?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

The status per my ticket with support as of 10-5 is that the BUG is still in an Open:Unresolved status

What I have done in the meantime is create a task for each DNS connector that restarts them every hr.  I still might miss some logs if it goes down before the hr restart mark but it is better than nothing in my opinion.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.