Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Migrate from 32-bit connector to 64-bit connector

Hello, 

We have encountered an issue when upgrade of 32-bit connector to 7.7.0 fails the connector. Support has responded that this is a known issue and have also said that :

- It is fixed in build 7.7.0, but the connector has to be installed from scratch,

- The recommendation is to go to 64-bit connectors as there will be no more support for 32-bit connectors

So the question is, can we try to just migrate the connector configuration from 32-bit to 64 bit? I saw some post where you can migrate the whole connector - but did not see the same for the configuration?

BR,

S

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Migrate from 32-bit connector to 64-bit connector

!!! WARNING NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED !!! 

!!! NOT WELL TESTED !!!

Hi,

what i tried to do recently was following:

- connect the smartconnector to ArcMC , (hint: set remoteport)
- create a backup of the smartconnector
--> administration
--> repositories
--> backup Files
-->--> retrieve Container Files
-->-->--> select the Container you want to migrate/backup

- login (ssh) to the connector-server (if on linux)
- shutdown the connector you want to migrate (i romeoved the service as well)
- move the connector folder to  "xyz".backup
- install 64-bit version of the smartconnector  framework to xyz (exact same foldername as original folder)
- (i did not do runagentsetup)
- enable remote management,and connect that SC to ArcMC

- login to ArcMC and playback the backups you created to the exact same container your are migrating
- restart connector
- ... pray

Enjoy,

Andreas

SideNote / Warning 

- This will only "work" (that way) where there is an 64-bit equivalent for the 32-bit version
-->--> there is no official lea/adopsec/checkpoint 64-bit support!

!!! WARNING NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED !!! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

Will try it, but looks promising.

Br,

Simon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This might sound silly, but is there a reason why someone couldn't just install the 64 bit connector and quickly configure it? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

For those (like me) who have dozens of connectors and reinstalling it's not easily feasible in a short time, today Microfocus released ArcMC 2.92 with the following feature:

Centralized upgrade of 32-bit Connectors to 64-bit Connectors from ArcMC.

(If it really works) It was worth waiting for it...

JC

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

I have installed the newest ArcMC 2.9.2 and I am sorry to disappoint you but I am afraid that the following lines are not sustained by any steps into the official documentation:

Bulk emergency restores: Users can perform emergency restore of multiple local containers at once.
This feature also provides a way to migrate local containers from 32 bit to 64 bit. The existing connector
configuration will be preserved after the migration process.

If it really works then good point for this release but as long as these steps are not documented how someone could imagine this feature will really help?

So please use @vitz1  steps if you really need to make the migration.

Best Regards,

Daniel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Thanks for the heads-up!

Well, but at least since this should be "officially supported", now the Microfocus support shall help their clients on this.

Let's see...

JC

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello again, 

so since this part, it's not documented I start to test it by my self.
On a test ArcMC appliance with not Smart Connectors installed on is but containers on 32 bit I did the following steps to upgrade them to 64 bit ( any attempt to upgrade those containers directly from ArcMc using the normal steps failed to do the upgrade).
Connected on ArcMC as admin user please follow the next steps:

--> Navigate to Administration Tab.

--> —>Chose Repositories option.

--> —>Then chose Emergency Restore option. The Wizard of “Emergency Restore process “will be initiated.

—>—>-->Select the AUP ( that was previously imported ) to be restored.
Note: in my case, I have chosen 7.11 ( since with this version they moved on 64 bit).

Click Next.

—>—>—>--> Select the Container to reimage and backup restore. Click Next
—>—>—>-->--> Select the Container or the Containers. Click Next

The message "warning related to the fact that this action will delete all the content of container and it's not reversible will appear". If you agree with this chose YES if not the process will return you back to the selection of the Containers. 

If Yes it is selected then the Wizard will end up with the message “Emergency Restore job has stared. Please check the process on the Job Manager page”. Select Done to finish the Wizard steps. Go to Job Manager page to monitoring the Job status.

According to the Job information page on each container the running phases are:
Backup the container which will generate an archive.
Emergency resort. This time the container will have the new version.
Restore from backup.

The process will take a while. In my case, for I chose only 4 Containers and the entire procedure took more than 30 minutes and those containers where empty no Smart Connectors installed on them.

Note:

1. The Emergency restore process will not jump to the next Container until it’s not fishing those three phases. In this experiment all the 4 Containers were upgraded successfully without any issues. I did not know how it ends up if one of the phases it’s failing.
2. I tried to initiate another The Emergency restore process for the threat of Container. Will not gonna work until the first one will be finished.

All the best,

Daniel

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@Ionut Daniel Mosoiu  

Did you meanwhile try to migrate a configured connector to 64 bit?

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

A

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

yes, we did it but on the hard way because we did not wait for the new ArcMC version.

Best Regards,

Daniel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Hi,

I have ArcMc 2.9.2 with smart connectors 7.6 32bit. how can I upgrade them to 7.13 or 7.14. through ArcMc.

regards

Robert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

My best guess is that it will only work locally.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.