Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mgjk2 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Pre-persistence rule to populate DestinationAddress field

I have an event source which under a set of conditions doesn't populate the Destination Host nor the Destination Address.   It does however populate the DeviceCustomString5 field with the value I'm looking for. 

I tried to create a pre-persistence rule which would use a variable to convert DeviceCustomString5 to an IP address, then assign it to the DestinationAddress field.  The UI doesn't allow me to set the value, which makes be believe that I'm attempting something impossible.

Can you set the value of DestinationAddress or even TargetAddress to values such as DeviceCustomString5 using pre-persistence rules?

I can't find any clear list of what's possible and what's not in the documentation.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
kreed7 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Pre-persistence rule to populate DestinationAddress field

If you are certain it is an IP address, I usually pull a trick using velocity on a rule action.

On the rule action, make sure to Set Field destination address = $deviceCustomString5

Make sure to add device custom string 5 to the aggregation tab.

Another question is why would you not use a map file to do what you want at the smartconnector and avoid this?

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Shaun Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Keep in mind that you are trying to put a "string" into an "address" field, so you will likely need to do some local variable conversion to change from string to address.

You could also consider doing a parser override at the connector level to populate destinationAddress with the value.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

I'm not sure if it can be done with map files.  Is it possible to use a map file to set a dynamic value?  And can that be done conditionally?

The prepersistence rule can very easily trigger on a condition and set the value.

If I understand prepersistence correctly, if I tried to use regular rules with velocity templates, then the result won't be captured by the rules which follow.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the heads up on variable conversion, I was sure to give that a try before posting.   I tried setting the hostname to the IP string just in case prepersistance had a problem with conversion... no go.

I think parser override might be the right way to do it.

I found a workaround to the problem by assigning the Source address to the Destination address (for this particular type of event, the Source Address has the correct value, so this worked...)

The method *should* still work I think.  I've opened a ticket with HP, I'll followup on this thread if they have a solution.   The UI (in ESM 6.5 Linux client) behaves a bit unusually, I can select the variable from the list, but it will not allow me to click OK or save.   Setting the field to a different value works, but I can't work with DeviceCustomString5 or a heap of other fields.

I'm not sure if the UI is broken, or if it is trying to tell me that maybe certain events aren't available in prepersistence.

0 Likes
anirudhanayak@g Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I would suggest to use map files on the connector level to achieve this.

Just try to enter the values in this format:

event.deviceCustomString5,set.event.deviceAddress

What are the values in your deviceCustomString5 field ? Is it hostname or IP Address.

0 Likes
anirudhanayak@g Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

@Mike Kallies

I have also attached a documentation on how to create map files.

Regards,

Anirudh

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

It's a string of an IP address.

Is there a way to use map files without knowing all the possible addresses in advance?

e.g.,

event.deviceCustomString5,set.event.deviceAddress

0 Likes
kreed7 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually, you do not need a conversion. ArcSight does this fine everytime.

0 Likes
mohamedgad Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Mike,

try the following in the map file , but the smartconnector must be at least version 7.0.4

set.expr(deviceCustomString1).event.sourceAddress

deviceCustomString1

let me know if it works for you.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.