alexeynl Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Preferable platform for syslog connector

I know that Smart and Flex Connector are supported for both Linux and Windows OS. But if i need to deploy syslog connector (Raw, SyslogNG, or device specific) and i have a choice what is platform is preferable?

Syslog is Linux native standard and intuitively this platform is more compatible. Is this so?

0 Likes
2 Replies
PeSeKa Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Preferable platform for syslog connector

Hi, 

The connectors are installable both on linux and windows platforms and in my opinion there is not a preferred one over the other. According to me it depends more on the user who will manage the connector and if he will be more familiar with windows or linux os.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Preferable platform for syslog connector

As the guy above me said, it always depends on who is going to manage the software, but if we forget about that a bit, and just talk about the technical aspects then Linux is the preferred platform.

Reason for this is that there is more connectors in a common deployment that uses protocol better handled by Linux, like syslog for example. Now that the new connectors for Windows Events also now is deployable on Linux, it kind of removes the last dependencies we have for Windows machines.

There is also the aspect of performance, the network stack running on linux or other nix platforms handles larger network input better, and they do not require reboots on common updates, making the uptime easier to manage.

I have also noticed certain aspects of the ArcMC integrations working better on Linux, though that might just be our environment in general, so if you are using ArcMC or plan to, then i would take that into consideration as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.