Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem importing Zones

Hello,

I am creating my network model using the tool "Resources Generator" in the Manager version 4.5.1.5926, but so far without succeeding. First of all I imported my locations (8000 approximately), and everything was perfect. Now I am trying to do the same with the zones and I do not why it takes a long long time. Concretely, I am trying to import 1000 zones, but the operation takes 55 minutes more or less. If a try to import more than 1000, for example 5000, there is a moment that the connection with the manager fails (as you can see in the enclosed file), so finally I do not have any zone in my manager. Can anybody help me?I

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Christian,

since you're using ESM version 4.5 wouldn't it be easier to use plain CSV files and the built-in "Network Model" tool? (see screenshot)

We've been using the Resource Generator tool for zones in the beginning as well... it's always given us headaches.

Regards,

Christian

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Christian,

I had checked the Wizard before, but my problem is that I have too many locations, so the association is complicated.

BR. Christian.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

This pretty much looks like a kind of out-of-memory condition during the import.

Does it work with a smaller import file? Then that's most probably the problem.

Are you doing this a single time or regularly? If it is a single time, then just split the import file to make the XML file smaller.

If that is not an option you may need to tweak the memory of the server.

There may may a knowledge base article for this.

Let me know if that helps, Till

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Finally I solved the problem: all I did is to import the zones into a folder with a different name and the performance was really better (do not know why). Now that the network model is created, we are facing a new problem, to update the categories of our assets: I have tried it modifying my.csv file and passing it again to the "assets import connector", but without succeeding. This problem consists in:

>> If I delete one category in the .csv file, in the database does not happen the same.

>> If I modify one category, another category is created instead of modifying it.

I hope somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.

BR, Christian Paape.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Are you using the resource Generator or the asset import connector?

ResourceGen does not support removing categories. It was purely designed for initial import and not for regular updates.

Not sure about the asset import connector.

You would essentially need to make a diff and then generate an XML which explicitly removes that category.

-Till

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for answering,

to import the assets I use the "Assets Import Connector". About the way you propose, I think we should know first which categories we want to delete. This is not interesting for me, because all that I have is a new .csv file containing all the assets and I do not know which ones have been modified and in which categories.

Thanks in advance. Yours faithfully, Christian Paape.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I also got the same problem.

What's best practice to import:

• Zones
  • Networks
  • Locations

to Arcsight continuous?

We would like to import a acutal CSV file which is update by the Network-Team and import it into Arcsight. Then all the new stuff should be imported / created and things which aren't in this CSV anymore should be removed at this point.

I'm sure, some people working in big, big ArcSight ESM environments have also made up their minds about this problem and hopefully found a solution (to tell me).

I would be very, very interessted to hear some different approaches.

- Thanks in Advance, Silvan

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Silvan,

One thing you can try is to import an xml with these resources. What you should do is create a package with some zones, assets, networks, etc. Export it, open the arb (its a zip file) and extract the xml. The request your network team to create their file in that format, or you can do it yourself based on their csv.

Then import the xml with the command arcsight archive -i -m <manager> -u <user> -p <password> -f yourFile.xml

I'm not sure how the manager will handle such huge files (depends on the version) so try it first in a dev environment.

HTH,

Doron

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.