Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Query - looking for a pattern (no matches condition)

Hello.

I'm trying to make a query that will return all strings (either from events or from an activelist) that match certain pattern.

I can't use matches condition within the query and frankly speaking, I don't know how this can be achieved otherwise?

I could make a rule with matches condition that would fill some AL and then query on this AL but this is not the answer.

Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

For events, you can use a rule and store the results to an AL . You can also use a query and a "contains" condition but this implies you know the string you are looking for as you can't use regex.  It should also be possible to play with the "Like" condition but I'm not very familiar with it.

For AL, the easiest way is to export the AL and to make a search with a grep or a text editor ( notepad++ supports regex ).  If you want something automated within the console, I suggest that you start a step ahead : If possible, try to collect the string you are looking for when the AL is populated via a rule.  You can also use the Like condition within a query and run a report

HTH

Gaetan

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, as for the solution involving AL usage - it's pretty obvious.

Exporting to i.e. notepad++ and using regex it's also an easy one.

Should there be a need to query on data for pattern matching, arcsight simply doesn't provide this functionality.

(Using "matches" for queries on AL should be made possible).

Thanks for reply.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

The closest solution for what you're looking for is the "Like" function.  It's not as powerful as the regex but it's better than nothing.  The matches function is only available in rule because of the cost in term of resources.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Actually it seems that "Like" is more powerful than I thought :

http://www.sql-tutorial.net/SQL-LIKE.asp

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nevertheless, I think it should be made available to use regex in queries. Maybe not explicitly like in rules, but there should be some workaround.

In my opinion, it's a big functionality gap.

"Like" statement may be the closes solution, but it's nowhere near as powerfull as regex and in most of the cases it doesn't do the job 😕 (like my ad hoc report that I'm preparing).

Edit: The functionality from the link you provided is not fully implemented in the 'Like' condition in ArcSight. (I've already been there).

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nice link! The last bit at the bottom is very eye opening. Will try to test later today though not sure if I will be able to really circle back to it; will try to at least keep it on my plate.

Belphegor – submit a feature request and then post the number they give you back here. I think many folks would be willing to add their company to the request giving it more weight.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Belphegor wrote:

Nevertheless, I think it should be made available to use regex in queries. Maybe not explicitly like in rules, but there should be some workaround.

In my opinion, it's a big functionality gap.

I can just agree with you.  Even if I understand why they hesitate to provide such a feature ( a wrongly formatted regex can use a lot of resources ), it should be possible to "unlock" this feature via a config file like they did to export trends results to AL in 4.x versions.  Let us know if you open a FR.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok. I will post the #FR once I make it.

Edit: Here it is:

ESM-46293 : use the regex functionality (via "Matches" condition) in queries

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good deal. Added our company to the FR.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.