Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Report Editor errors

Hey everyone.  Have any of you ever seen this error while attempting to open a report in edit mode? I wrote the report myself and it's located in my personal environment.  I've always been able to open it in edit mode before and I personally have made no changes so I don't know what is causing it.  All other reports in the same area are opening in edit mode with no issue.  I also moved it to the development folder and tried there and got the same error. Here is the error message:

Could not create editor: java.lang.NullPointerException

Any help?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

Robin,

Unfortunately this happens regularly to me too.  Most of the time this is because I made a change to the query used by the report.  As an advice I would recommend to close the report editor before modifying its query.  As a workaround which might work from time to time, make a copy of the report in another location and try again.  Reporting features are quite good but there are plenty of bugs related to it.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the advise. I had 2 affected so I moved them to a new location. That fixed one but did not fix the other so I had to rebuild one of them. Editing the query with the report editor is very likely my issue since I do that a lot. I'll adopt the new process of closing the report editor in the future. Thanks for the help and suggestion.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Which ArcSight version do u have.

just try to change the query in the report and now go back to the original one sometimes this works for me.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.