Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
jrmurray Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Resolved: ArcSight Logger Appliance fails to backup remotely to CIFS

I recently came across as an issue where a Logger appliance would not backup to a Windows server using CIFS, despite the "test" function working correctly on the appliance.  The daily archive worked only intermittently.  After examining the logs, I found:

/opt/arcsight/userdata/logger/user/logger/db_dump.sql:

INSERT INTO alg_jobresult VALUES (10909, 10, 'Daily Event Archiving Task', 1435546800021, 1435547059410, 'Failed', -5, 'Scheduled archive for [2015-06-27][HR Storage Group] failed: Resource temporarily unavailable');

Referencing /var/log/messages showed a few errors:

Jul 15 20:05:45 logger_appliance kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 5 mid 19

Jul 15 20:05:45 logger_appliance kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in Flush = -11

Jul 15 20:06:06 logger_appliance kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 23

Jul 15 20:06:27 logger_appliance kernel:  CIFS VFS: server not responding

Jul 15 20:06:27 logger_appliance kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 50 mid 27

I did some more research after analyzing a packet capture during which this process failed. I found that Windows Server 2003 SP1 and 2008 R2 do not natively accept the SMB FLUSH command. Implemented the following registry change to permit this command:

Value Name: treathostasstablestorage

Type: reg_dword

Setting: 1

Registry Key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

After a reboot of the destination server, the issue was resolved.

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894372

I hope this helps somebody who has the same issue.

- J.R. Murray

Labels (1)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.