Highlighted
Super Contributor.. ftavares Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Rule Trigger Limit

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I would like to set a rule action to fire "On Every Event" condition, but if this rule triggers a high number of times, I want to limit these action triggers.

For example: If my rule fires 10000x in 1 hour hour, I just want to allow it to execute its actions 500x.

How is the best approach to set this kind of limit/protection??

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Funtik1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Rule Trigger Limit

Jump to solution

Hello,

You can use ActiveLists to reduce and control rule triggers.

1. Create ActiveList with keyFields on Rules name, for example. Best choice - one field must be Long type with SUM subtype. This will work like Count field in AL

2. Then create 2 rules.

- One will trigger your action and add information to this "stop list". And add not in ActiveList condition to condition tab of this rule

- Second rule (lightweight is good choice) - can trigger on same events every time (if entry already in AL) to fill this list without triggering main action (execute command in your case)

With this logic you can "replace" some default rule Action Triggers For example, every 100 times, only on 31 count, etc

0 Likes
6 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. balahasan.v1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Tony,

First Fine Tune ur Rule Condition then configure ur Aggregation Settings and make sure u select the Exact Aggregate field Conditions also(Based on Unique/Identical).

So here 100 Base Events in 5 Minutes --> Trigger 1 Correlation Event.

Note: To Avoid more Partial Matches, Plz Fine Tune ur Rule Condition

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi buddy, thanks for your reply. I have got your point, but I think this will not fit my requeriment.

See...in this case I will only get my correlation event if I got 100 base events in 5 minutes, If I get just 99, I will not get any correlation event. Right?!

What I want is: Get 1 correlation event per Base Event, but with a MAX safe limit to not overhead my system.

For example: In 1 hour I allow it to generate 1000x correlated events (So, I will need 1000 base events for that), but If I get the 1001 event, I will deny next correlated event to be generated until my 1 hour time-frame ends. Did I make myself clear?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. balahasan.v1 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Tony,

That's one Weird Rule u got there u have On Time Unit and TWE Action in Rule.. Well I haven't tested the Conditions, but there are certain stuffs like this to restrict the Over triggering rules and fire precisely.

But mostly Restriction of Events are based on Time unit in all the above. Only way to restrict based on Count ll be through Aggregation. Well Let's c whether anyone encountered and configured rules which are not bound to Aggregation Settings. And I'll test it out wen i get time

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

I see, thanks for that...

I know that is not so common, but my point is: I have a resource limitation in my box, and my rule executes (action) a program that consumes resources when it triggers. So, I do not want my rule triggering 5000x in one hour, it will kill my resources. You see the quest?!?!

That's why I was looking for some solution to create a "safe limit", to deny much executions of this rule, stipulating some MAX number for triggers...

0 Likes
Funtik1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

You can use ActiveLists to reduce and control rule triggers.

1. Create ActiveList with keyFields on Rules name, for example. Best choice - one field must be Long type with SUM subtype. This will work like Count field in AL

2. Then create 2 rules.

- One will trigger your action and add information to this "stop list". And add not in ActiveList condition to condition tab of this rule

- Second rule (lightweight is good choice) - can trigger on same events every time (if entry already in AL) to fill this list without triggering main action (execute command in your case)

With this logic you can "replace" some default rule Action Triggers For example, every 100 times, only on 31 count, etc

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Maxim,

I think that's it. I will make a test here and report the results soon. Thanks...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.