sivakumarkasina Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

SEP smart connector affecting performance of SEPM

Hi All,

Need your suggestion/alternatives about the below issue if any one has already faced or came across this:

We have found that the SEP smart connector is locking the database and hence the SEPM is unable to write the logs to the database.

is their any configuration that needs to be done to avoid this situation? Also is there a way to give high priority to the write process than read process and hence while the SEPM tries to writes data to the database the process (like SEP connector reading data) can be stopped and hence prevent locking of the database?

Also is there any suggested frequency for the connector connection to the database to avoid such lockings?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Meisch Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: SEP smart connector affecting performance of SEPM

I see you have not heard anything yet on this.  What version of connector are you running.  I have found that the connectors after 7.2.x (well at least 7.2.4) will not support SEPM now because of Java 8 not supporting ODBC.  Its all JDBC.  Have you heard of this and or got word from Symantec or HP on this?

Logs, logs and more logs
0 Likes
travig Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

We are having a similar issue with our SEP Database, have you found any solutions for this?

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Shaun Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

You can adjust the polling interval, I believe it defaults to every 5 seconds.

pbrettle Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Shaun has a point here - change the polling interval will adjust the behavior and time of the queries.

You have to be careful though. By definition, you are running an SQL query against the database and this will always have an affect. A number of aspects will affect the performance and should be considered:

1. Amount of data that is retrieved by the SQL query - the number of events to be received - more events, more data, more information pulled in the query
  2. Performance of the current database - if the SEP system is heavily loaded, then it could be that final SQL query that trips the system over and cause performance issues. A heavily loaded SEP system will struggle with additional queries.
  3. Polling period of the SQL SmartConnector - as mentioned, the SEP SmartConnector runs a query against the database and it re-runs it at a particular interval. What it does is use either a time (the time of the event) or an ID (the unique ID for the event) that is in the database for the start and end of the query. Hitting the db every 5 seconds probably isnt a great idea.

But as you might figure out here, extend the polling period means the db isnt hit as hard, but it means the amount of data per query to increase! So tread carefully and check things out before settling on a particular option.

Outstanding Contributor.. LakeHealthInfoS Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

All,

I have successfully used the SEP smart connector on my production database with out issue the only consideration I have is when I want to update the smart connector software off the MC appliance - I typically remove the user name and password to bring down the connection so the Smart Connector can update with out issues.

Firstly it should always use the JDBC - the connection is easier to manage than the typical ODBC and is from my experience more lightweight on the server and the DB for resources.

Secondly - look into your infrastructure  it may need changed as SEP is extremely heavy handed with access to the DB.

From 2012 to late 2013 our SEPM was an integrated server -- Application and DB on the same box running SQL server 2008 R2 -- to main things hit the DB - are your clients set to PUSH or PULL for updates from the application -- per Symantec Professional Services and Engineering the server can only take roughly 2500 to 3000 clients in an active PUSH state - this in the Policy tab under Location specific settings --- due to limitations with web server timeouts, windows server session management.

Also is your SQL database embedded on the application server if so it may need to be broken away to its own server.

Between 2012 and 2013 I had multiple issues every time I updated the Smart Connector software.

Once we hit late Q3/Q4 for 2013 - I split out the SQL server to its own server and have never went back - now that we are moving off of SEP entirely (late 2015  to now) and installing Cylance its no longer an issue.

Highlighted
Meisch Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Has anyone looked at getting events from SYSLOG from the SEPM (all in one system).  What have you seen or not seen from getting events from there and what has been the difference between that avenue and getting it direct from the DB?

Logs, logs and more logs
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.