Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Established Member.. sbotharaj
Established Member..

Sizing Calculation - How to?

Jump to solution

All,

Would like to hear from you on how do you tackle the sizing query from customers?  Especially, how would you arrive at the BW estimate of SIEM traffic in the WAN? What prerequisites and approaches do you use during the onboarding?

The approach I followed:

1. Use HP Application Sizing calculator (EPS -> Bandwidth calculation) / If the calculator does not have a benchmark for your product + customer too does not have a benchmark, how will you proceed?

2. Segregate log sources product wise / site wise

3. Keep the agent(s) in the site(s) that generate intense traffic (thus prevent maximum raw logs passing through WAN)

4. Let the rest of the sites with low EPS generation pass the logs to the agents in the main sites.

5. Apply compression ratio (10:1) for the traffic from the agents to ESM (sent via WAN)

6. Add the BW used by step 4 & step 5 to arrive at WAN BW for each link. => Avg BW

7. Multiply Avg BW by 2 => Peak BW

Eager to discuss further on each step after hearing how others do it.  Also, if someone can point if I should change/alter my approach I would be happy to learn and improve.

Cheers!!!

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
balahasan.v1 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Sizing Calculation - How to?

Jump to solution
0 Likes
3 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Established Member.. sbotharaj
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you .  The threads provide good insight.  Will be helpful for the document I am compiling.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Suresh,

Great work. Please publish the document once you complete them I'm waiting

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.