Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
MR1 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Smart connectors JVM tuning

Jump to solution

Dears,

How to fine tune java virtual memory of a smart connector to increase its performance.

Upto which range we can increase its value?

Looking for your valuble suggestions..

Regards,

MR1

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dcorwin25 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Smart connectors JVM tuning

Jump to solution

If you go to <ArcSightSmartConnector>/current/user/agent/agent.wrapper.conf, you can adjust the JVM settings. They look as follows:

# Java Additional Parameters (additional parameters will now be written programatically)
# wrapper.java.additional.1=

# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.initmemory=256

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=256

I have mine adjusted on certain connectors to:

# Java Additional Parameters (additional parameters will now be written programatically)

wrapper.java.initmemory=1024

wrapper.java.maxmemory=2048

On an appliance, I believe that only 2GB is allotted per container, but for a software connector, it's whatever the host can provide (I believe). On some of my WiNC connectors, I go up to 3GB for maxmempory.

0 Likes
4 Replies
dcorwin25 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

If you go to <ArcSightSmartConnector>/current/user/agent/agent.wrapper.conf, you can adjust the JVM settings. They look as follows:

wrapper.java.initmemory=256

wrapper.java.maxmemory=256

I have mine adjusted on certain connectors to:

wrapper.java.initmemory=1024

wrapper.java.maxmemory=2048

On an appliance, I believe that only 2GB is allotted per container, but for a software connector, it's whatever the host can provide (I believe). On some of my WiNC connectors, I go up to 3GB for maxmempory.

0 Likes
MR1 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution
Waw! You are Great.. Thank you very much for this cool explanation. @dcorwin25
Highlighted
rayrp1 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Is this typical? i have several WINC connectors that I have done the same and increased to wrapper.java.maxmemory=2048, 

the caching has been reduced greatly, but now the issue i am running into is that I can no longer insatll more connectors on that server. I run the agent setup but it skips to complete. then nothing, i have reviewed the logs and it states java socket exemption max buffer size used. is there a way to correct this? any help is greatly appreactied. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hey @rayrp1

I would recommend when asking for new questions, to create new topics, as people still get alerts from these very old topics, so reviving them should normally only be needed if it's related to the original post itself.

No issue with creating a new topic and linking back to this one as a referecen though :)

To answer your question:

I would recommend looking at the Connector healthcheck paper first, there is also one for ESM and Logger and they are all pretty cool: https://community.softwaregrp.com/dcvta86296/attachments/dcvta86296/arcsight-discussions/41321/1/ArcSight%20Connector%20health%20check.pdf

If you do not find anything there, then please create a new topic, which includes a copy of the agent.log and agent.wrapper.log (feel free to stop the connector, backup old logs and restart it, so that they are small).

And include a quick description on how you are running the installer, and at what step (if it even starts) that it stops. Together with how much CPU/MEM the machine has.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All topics and replies made is based on my personal opinion, viewpoint and experience, it does not represent the viewpoints of MicroFocus.
All replies is based on best effort, and can not be taken as official support replies.
//Marius
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.